Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IL permit lottery >

IL permit lottery

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IL permit lottery

Old 03-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default IL permit lottery

Anyone out there familiar with the way DNR draws permits...meaning, if your first choice is gone they go right to your 2nd, right?
What if they're both gone? Am I sol??
I'm trying to plot my stategy. Any info is greatly appreciated. I'm relatively new (only been at it a couple years) and I don't want to be scrambling at the last minute.
Any advice.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: IL permit lottery

I don' t know exactly how they draw, but if you are a resident and put in on time, I am sure you will get your first choice. I have only applied for two different counties (firearm and ML only) so I can't speak for the amount available for all counties.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CPDSportsman

Anyone out there familiar with the way DNR draws permits...meaning, if your first choice is gone they go right to your 2nd, right?
What if they're both gone? Am I sol??
I'm trying to plot my strategy. Any info is greatly appreciated. I'm relatively new (only been at it a couple years) and I don't want to be scrambling at the last minute.
Any advice.
This is pretty much how it works, but i don't think you have much to worry about. I don't remember the last time i didn't get my first choice, much less my second choice. As an Illinois resident you are pretty much going to get what you want. Cherokee makes a good point, make sure you get your application sent before the deadline of the end of April. You can also hedge your bet by sending for both a regular firearm permit and a muzzle loader only permit.You can track the progress of your application and permit status on the IDNR website once they have the applications and have started the process. You can also use their website to see which Counties have leftover permits once the first 2 drawings are held.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Spike

I should add that I'm applying for special permit areas & not just acounty permit.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

CPD, The special property permits go quickly. Very few are left after the first draw. They look at eachapplicant's 1st choice before looking at 2nd picks, so the A1 tags are gone after the first go through. You won't draw a great permit on a 2nd choice, but possibly a mediocre one if you specify such apermit there.

Don K has has not drawn his top pick in 7 years of applying. All different than a county permit. It's a very good idea to use all your choices and fill in all choices all the way to your desperation pick at the end, because if you don't draw one in that first lottery you will go back to ground zero and have to compete with nonresidents in the 2nd lottery. I'd rather have a crappy permit and at least have somewhere to go instead of sitting home doing nothing between archery seasons. Someone told me theSNF does not have special permits, so if you draw one of the counties down there you will have a public place to hunt as a last resort. Sounds like a reasonable strategy if you don't have private land to hunt.

Does anyone know if ILDNR publishes the remaining tags from last year's 1st lottery? This would be nice to reference for last pick options this year.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any lottery....if you apply for.....the 1st lottery/drawing, you'll draw your 1st choice. If you get in for the 2nd or 3rd drawing you may risk not drawing your 1st choice.

Get in early and count on receiving your 1st choice!