Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois >

Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Dunno about trail cams. As I said earlier, there are a few bobcats in that area, but i have yet to see a trail cam picture of one. Ditto for Grey fox which are now rare, but still present. Whether an even rarer animal would ever show up on one is iffy. But then again, given that cougars spend a lot of time after deer, one might anticipate that eventually a pic of one would turn up, if they are actually around.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know there have been a few found dead in Illinois, but I never really thought that I would see one. Two weeks ago I seen on in a field be Bethalto and Edwardsville. You couldhave knocked me over with a feather (and I am a big guy), but it was cat. Of course all my buddies think I was drunk, but I know what I seen.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:30 AM

I live in Central Illinois. My son was riding his 4-wheeler around the edge of one of our hay fields a couple of weeks ago. He said he saw what looked like a small cougar dart into the woods just ahead of him. He said it was yellow and definitely some sort of wildcat. There have been several sightings in our area, even claims of the black cats ( which is wierd because they aren't native here??) I went out and took pictures of prints that look like large cat tracks in that same field yesterday. I would like to post them but can't figure out how to do it ????
Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

cousin talked to a landowner up in Jo Daviess.....show him pictures, said he even shot one.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I see it is they were once native to this area. Through restricted hunting they are making a comeback and are just coming back home. With the reintroduction of the grey wolf I am sure I will be seeing them in Southern Illinois in my lifetime. If they can shoot and kill a wild couger in the suburbs of Chicago then I see no reason they are not in the remote areas of the state.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM

back in 2006 i was hunting with a good friend in Clinton County, Illinois. He swears to this day that he saw a cougar on opening day of 06 archery season. Last year in was hunting in nashville, illinois and another buddy and i were hunting and when we met up and were walking back in we saw some unusual tracks, a little hard to make out because they were in snow and kind of melting away, but they were a little weird. So did my friend really see one? I dont know, was it a cougar track i saw in the snow, I definitely cannot confirm that, but in all honesty, i dont bull****, i would put a large wager on it that there are cougars in Illinois, especially southern illinois, somewhere in the thick woods of shawnee theres got to be something. agree to disagree, but its almost ridiculous to say theres not.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/scattershooting/article/big_cat_near_farina

This is in Farina, Lanse. Looks like a cougar to me!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/scattershooting/article/big_cat_near_farina

I know that guy!![&:]I live about 10 miles from Farina, and IMO thats not a housecat. Thats a cougar.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I know the guy that videotaped it too. From the story he told me, they had seen tracks and had seen the cougar a couple times before they got it on video. I believe it's a real cougar because I know the people that have seen it and the video looks pretty real.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

I know that guy!![&:]I live about 10 miles from Farina, and IMO thats not a housecat. Thats a cougar.
I looked at this video as this is a housecat until I see something that tells me otherwise. I watched the video at least 12 times and nothing about it said housecat. That is the best proof that I've seen that says they are in Illinois besides the already 3 dead bodies that have been recovered. Great footage!

Quick Reply: Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.