Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Moving to Iowa (maybe)....please help!!! >

Moving to Iowa (maybe)....please help!!!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Moving to Iowa (maybe)....please help!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Spike

Default Moving to Iowa (maybe)....please help!!!

Hey guys,

For those of you who may not have seen, I posted about choosing between careers in Maryland or Iowain the Deer Hunting forum a couple of weeks ago. While both options are stillonthe table, I'm much closer to accepting theIowa position at this point (will probably know one way or the other next week). With that said, I wanted to test the waters and see Ianyone heremight know of amutually beneficial living situation.

About Me:
[ul][*]26 y/o Male -- WILDLIFE Biologist[*]Southern born and raised (Georgia)[*]Avid Whitetail/turkey hunter, also enjoy shooting a few ducks/quail every year[*]IfI take the job in question, I will beworking for alarge non-profit covering the midwest (iowa is the most central state in the territory and the hardest non-residentdeer tag which is why iwantto live there)[*]I will work fromprimarily from home and travel approx 50 nights per/year[*]I do have a 1 year old female chocolate lab, but I'm not sure if she will be making move or staying with my parents in GA[/ul]
Ideal Living situation:
[ul][*]The only stipulation that my employer put on my living situation is that I must be w/ 45-50 miles of a commercial airport (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, others?) andI must be ableto get high speed internet[*]Ideally I would like to find a garage/basement apartment or small framhouse to rent in the COUNTRY. I've looked on craigslist but all I can find is urban/suburban aparments.[*]It would be great if this dream place was on some acerage and I could exchange approx. 5 hrs/week of labor (general maintenance, wildlife mgmt, etc) in exchange for some hunting opportunity.[*]Based on my estimated budget, I'd be willing to pay 650-700 (including util) /month. [/ul]
If anyone has any leads or any idea of where to look (otherthan craigslist)I would appreciate the help. As a side note, I could technically live anywhere in IL, MO, WI, or MN -- and i would certainly consider these options, but Iowa is my first choice.

Happy Hunting,

GA
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moving to Iowa (maybe)....please help!!!

Get used to the cold boy! Wind chill was -53 yesterday morning.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go get an Iowa bruiser. Sounds like you made the right choice.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

There is an airport in the Quad Cities which is in Moline, IL right across the river from Davenport, IA. If you are basing your move on good hunting oppurtunities, move to of near the Quad Cities. Kill two birds (deer)with one stone (slug). I am not sure if any other IA/IL border area has the airport requirement. You will have to trade in the centerfire for a slug gun or ML though. Good luck and if you want any more info. on teh Quad Cities I woud be happy to answer any questions.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Des moines is a pretty fun town to live in for someone our age. there are lots of public hunting areas within an hour from there that you could be hunting next season. Lots of big deer! Im sure with your job it wont take you long to find the good spots to hunt in the area too. I grew up not to far from there so if you have any questions jsut ask.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as you live in Iowa, you made a good choice, I am from North Central Iowa, there isn't really any major airports around.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Any where around Leon, Iowa. Big Bucks Abound.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try between Dubuque and Cedar Rapids, both have airports and there are only small towns/cities between them. Deer hunting will vary so try to look at a satilite map for areas with more tree cover and less open fields. Many farmers around there are not into hunting but do give permission fairly often.