Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 02-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: why you see more hawks

That's a good theory, Discus. Another contributing factor would be that last winter was pretty warm, so the hawks would have a great abundance of food through out the year. I remember seeing green grass in December last year. That sure didn't happent his year though.

Brandan

Old 02-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hawks are a big contributor to the decline of upland game in my area. I' m sure that if the KDWP could pass a law to have controlled shooting on the nuisance hawk, the would. But the laws, and anti-hunters will never let them do so. It' s kind of a lose, lose situation when it comes to birds of prey vs. uplands birds. Gets worse everyday, and nothing legally we can do about it!
Old 02-05-2003, 07:47 AM

Hawks mirgrate. Their population or presence in an area may be a direct effect of snow cover or lack of it or other factors effecting the migration paterns.
Kshunter, due to the fact that they do migrate I would guess that like duck, woodcock and other migratory birds, the Federal not the State governement would have to develope any regulations regarding the harvest or control of them. Just a quess.

IT'S ABOUT GETTING RESULTS, NOT JUST ABOUT MAKING AN EFFORT.
Work hard and be true to yourself.
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...kas/index.html
Old 02-10-2003, 04:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-16-2003, 10:57 AM

I believe hawks and owls come under federal jurisdiction so laws governing them are bound to be screwed up. I definitely think that too many birds of prey will hurt small game populations, and there is no control of them. With no natural enemies, the only control of their population is when they run out of food.

They sure play heck with my training pigeons.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:09 PM

MOMomarch, as an ethical hunter I find that type of thinking as unacceptable in the hunting community. You may otherwise be a bright, honest and good person but statements such as that effect all hunter in a adverse manner, not just the unethical ones.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hawks migrate? Never knew that. I see them year-round regardless of the weather or terrain conditions. They take a huge toll on upland birds. I' ve easily witnessed literally over a hundred killings on pheasants alone. And that' s just the times that I see them. Yet there are some people who think these birds don' t have a dramatic effect on upland birds. Not to mention the thousands of dollars, damaged nets and fences, and headaches I got from these birds. The killing of these birds of prey is unethical. But being ethically right also involves common sense. And common sense tells me not to sit and watch a hawk kill my livestock and keep coming back time and time again.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

I also experienced a Red Tail Hawk picking off pheasants this fall. The hawk was watching the pheasant and every time we would kick up a bird the hawk would fly toward the pheasant. MOMonarch has the right idea, but would this result in more mice eating the pheasant eggs?
Old 02-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

As a kid growing up in Southern Il, We found a young one after a big Storm with a broken Wing. We had him fixed up and kept him for a couple of months. They are beautiful birds and cant imagine the mentality it would take to shoot one.

Hey Discusdad, how are you?

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.