Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 how cold is to cold >

how cold is to cold

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

how cold is to cold

Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default how cold is to cold

how cold does it have to get before you stop hunting
Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how cold is to cold

Below 0 degrees F
Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Hunted -15 C in Saskatchewan the entire day for 5 days and it really wasn't all that bad. But, there wasn't much wind. It is the wind that gets me. Even at 25 F if there's 15 mph winds, I can't sit more than 3 hours in a treestand. So for me, the limiting factor is wind. Last year in Manitoba, it was -10F in the mornings with 20-25 mph winds most of the week..brutal!!! But we all went out for the entire day. However, we took pop-up blinds and heaters or we wouldn't have made it. The point here is that when it comes to hunting, if you're fanatical as I am, there really isn't a limit. You just adapt by putting on a ton of clothes and hunker down..even if it is only for an hour or two.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Jackson Bowner, I have hunted in 0 degrees many times and 9 below a few times. I just layer up and have a face mask and Neck gator on.The wind is the main factor for me and if it is brutal cold like that.....I only hunt by a food source.
www.moabhunting.com

Old 01-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

Two years ago I sat for three hours at minus four and my youngest boy sat for four. I don't think it could get too cold for me to hunt but the cold might get me moving around to stay warmer. Our group splits up to hunt and we take stools with us and wait on the deer. All of the others gave up on sitting still after an hour or two. No one quit hunting early though and we hunted dawn till dark except going into town for lunch, which we do every year anyway.

Bob
Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Really depends on the species I am hunting. I assume you are speaking of deer hunting?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 AM

i have hunted deer in -15 deg. the cold don't bother me. the only time i will think twice about going is if the wind is blowing.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM

The colder it is the shorter my time is on stand ,if your dressed right you can always make it till 10 am. Then 3 more hours befor dark . Those little heat packs are cheeper then a cup of coffee at the store. put one down each boot after putting them on and 2 in your bocket . make sure you bow is dry or it might crack when you draw it after the water in the wheels freeze.

[/align]
Old 01-16-2008, 11:16 AM

This weekend should be quite cold here in Illinois (saturday high of 7 F)but I'll still be out in the woods.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Never too cold for me. The wind will limit me when it is blowing so hard I am nervous about catching a widow maker. Brittle frozen trees in strong gusty winds don't make for a safe hunt. The beautiful thing about hunting is there is always a tomorrow…..unless it is the last day of the season.

Quick Reply: how cold is to cold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.