Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Missouri's future deer seasons >

Missouri's future deer seasons

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Missouri's future deer seasons

Old 12-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Missouri's future deer seasons

In Saturday's paper the Conservation Commision and their agent Lonnie Hanson gave some news about the various deer seasons in the future. Here is what the CC may be proposing.

#1.Moving gun season to the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
#2. Switching the antlerless firearmsseason to mid October.
#3. Moving muzzleloader season to the last week in December.

These are all aimed at making the buck to doe ratio better. This is a package deal, so if one is accepted all are. If adopted the changes would'nt take effect until 2009.

What are your thoughts Missourians?

Spudrow from MO
Old 12-23-2007, 05:39 PM

Default RE: Missouri's future deer seasons

Here's the web link:
http://mdc.mo.gov/events/forums/deer/

You do not have to go to a public forum to make comments on proposed Deer season regulation changes. Click on the link aboveand vote and make comments. Click on the link at bottom of MDC page that says: "make your comments online"

Input I have on the new proposals;
Youth season needs to be antlerless only, or do away with it and let it coincide with the new early antlerless season!! It is totally abused.

The new Black powder season needs to be early December at around the same time as the current antlerless season. The current proposal puts it at the end of december. Weather will be bad in late december.

If antlerless season is moved prior to regular season then landowners should be given a free antlerless tag otherwise landowners are not going to use their free any deer tag prior to the regular season. Currently landowners who do not fill their free any deer tag during regular season can fill it during the latter antlerless season, but if it is moved prior to regular season that would be impossible.

If moving the normal gun season one week later, it needs extended since there will be a greater chance of bad weather.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

might be ok i am in Indiana and would kill for a oct firearms season i think they should let us hunt with what ever we wont and just have a hunting season but then they would not get the gun license money the muzzle loader then theres the bow license and then small game and Indiana does not have a sportsman license
Old 12-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

I agree about the youth season. It's a real joke.

As for the ML season, I like the fact that the deer have a chance to settle back down, so late December is fine with me.On the other hand for horn hunters it would be nice to have it during the second rut. I think all hunters should be considered.

The land owners do get free antlerless tags. The owners of the propertywhere I hunt get 3 tags for each person who lives in the house. 1 any deer and 2 antlerless. The Conservation Commission want the does regulated for a better buck to doe ratio,so I am sure this won't change. With the last 4 years of antler point restrictions it has made for more bucks tomature. Now I'm not a horn hunter but I do like the restrictions. It hasn't bothered my hunting at all. I hope they don't go to earn a buck regulation. That sucks.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 12-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Only landowners with 75 or more acres get antlerless tags!!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:40 PM
SST

I sent my comments to the MDC. I like the current antler restrictions of at least 4 points on one side, but I don't want to see the antlerless season moved to October. I like bow hunting in late October. The deer have to be closer and there is more cover, but it is usually too warm in October for a major deer harvest. Sometimes it's too warm in November, and there just isn't enough ice in the state to keep all those field dressed deer cool enough before we can get them to the processor. It will be much worse 2 months earlier than the current December doe hunt. I am glad they moved the antlerless season from January to December. It's just cold enough to seem like deer season, but not miserable, there's no vegetation obscuring vision or shooting lanes and the deer are easier to see, especially if there is snow. January had showed us some pretty brutal hunting weather in past years.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

If you own or lease 5 acres you are entitled to 1 free any deer permit. 75 acres or more and you can 2 antlerless and 1 any deer permit.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 PM

What is abused about the youth season? I have an idea, but have never hunted in one, so I'm not quite sure.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:23 PM

After scouting the area for long periods, checking the cameras etc. keep in mind the deer have not been presured up until youth season. The neighbor brings his kids and his friends kids down and shoot all the bucks. 4 were shot this year. I sat in one of my stands bowhunting and seen the father shoot one of them for the kid. Gives the parents first crack at the bucks, all they have to do is drag a kid with them. Now don't get me wrong if proper ethics are usedI think it is a greatthing to get the youth involved. I have just seen first hand where it was abused.Should be antlerless only.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

First Thing to change would be youth season. The bucks travel long distances in my area, these bucks goe across miles of properties. Every Tax paying deer hunter waits for opening day, when everyone has a fair chance at a big one with Rifle. When these Giant Bucks are shot a week before statewide season opens, then these deer are gone forever and alot of properties become "dry" of the Bucks that were there. I personall do not beleave that a 2 year old even knows or respects Big Buck deer, or even knows what he just shot with a 300 winchester mag. I can only speak for what I have seen in my area. The youth season is abused. I have heardFathers brag of having 6 Buck tags because they have a big family. Also the last evening of youth season in my area, the gravel roads are bumper to bumper trucks driving around with kids piled on top of each other in the seat, with dad having a 7-mag hanging out the window. I personaly know of more than one that took 8+ bucks this past youth season, all in a close area. I beleave, and know that some of these guy's would get a youth tag if his wife had a fetus in her womb. I understand these are extreme cases and there are surely more fathers that do it right and dont abuse the hunt, but enough of this is true and Missouri should change the youth season to doe only, and have it after statewide Rifle. I beleave that Land owners and tax paying hunters should have a fair chance to harvest these deer. If I see one more 3 year old on the front page of the local paper with a 180 inch buck with a 460 rigby draped over it, I think I'll drop dead. ......Just my opinion, its a sad joke.

Quick Reply: Missouri's future deer seasons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.