Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Loess hills hunt, IOWA >

Loess hills hunt, IOWA

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Loess hills hunt, IOWA

Old 11-23-2007, 09:25 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Default Loess hills hunt, IOWA

Anybody been in the loess hills area in Iowa?

I saw this hunting show with michael hanback and he went out to Iowa trophy whitetail outfitters. The website is judd cooney.com
Does anybody know where in Iowa his ranch is located. What city etc. I'm assuming in the western side, close to the missouri river.

i have to know. That area looked awesome, not your usual flat Iowa area, full of big bucks.

thanks
Old 11-23-2007, 03:30 PM

Default RE: Loess hills hunt, IOWA

I would say southeast Iowa. Getting Close with Lee and Tiffany Lakosky is in southeast Iowa and The Wild Outdoors with Jay and Tammi Gregory is in southeast Iowa. Rod White and Jay Gregory have a lot of land down there for sell in the local paper for deer hunting to sell to out of stater's. My taxidermist is from Salem Iowa and were Lee and Tiffany live. I have taken 4 P&Y bucks on the land where they live in the past before they both all the land up. Any time you start getting in souther hafe of Iowa you start getting into hills, big timbers and big bucks. My old bowhunting buddy lives down in the southeast and said it's getting real hard to find ground to hunt on, because out of starters are buying every thing up and making it hard for locals to find places to bowhunt.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:48 PM

loess hills area is on the other side of the river from were I live now, but I'm on the NE side on the Homer bluffs. My house over looks them. I don't know about the Iowa side. The NE bluffs side the big buck are hard to come by. See nice bucks, but the big P&Y & B&C bucks like I seen in southern Iowa where I was born and live 58 years once are few
Old 11-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

The Loess hills run parallel to the Missouri river all along the western edge of Ia.and the area you are asking about is probably up toward Onawa Ia. which is about 50 minutes north of Omaha. I hunt the Loess Hill south of Council Bluffs (Omaha is right across the river). The Loess hills grow some huge whitetails due to tons of old timber intermixed with Ag fields. It is honestly some of the best deer hunting in all of the midwest states.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:36 PM

The area is near Solider Iowa and he used to be partned with a couple of folks who got in trouble for poaching. I am not sure if the relationship is still there or not. I have hunted the area and found that the hunting while good is not as good as other parts of the state.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:59 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

thanks for the info. Anybody have anymore?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

the area you probably want to check out are the hills around onawa in harrison and monona counties. the state forest is there... there is about 12000 acres or so of public land to hunt on... i know a few guys that go down there and they see and kill big bucks every year. ive heard that the area can be tough to hunt due to lots of hills, ridges, draws... gives the deer plenty of places to hide and grow big. good luck
Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

It is honestly some of the best deer hunting in all of the midwest states.
I think Buffalo county Wisconsin, and Pike county Illinois would beg to differ...just messin with ya.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Spike

Theres also Odessa WMA in Louisa cty., Cedar River in Muscatine cty., & West Fork in Palo Alto cty., I'd tell ya more but thats privaliged(sp) information.