Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Chouteau Island DRT... >

Chouteau Island DRT...

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Chouteau Island DRT...

Old 10-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Chouteau Island DRT...

[hr]

DRT for the Illinois opener found me in my stand early this morning and the deer were moving around 7:30...wind was swirling and a very large doe got away. She was 45 yards away and there was no way I was shooting in this wind...so I backed out...but not before I took care of that pesky squirrel. I have been practing this year to take care of those squirrells and at 20 yards I nailed a large fox squirrel, but it had the last laugh...he took off with my arrow and judo point. So the BSD means big squirrel dead.

Later this evening I went to chouteau island and found a quite place to set up and around 3:30 I had a 3 point buck come to me. I wasn't going to take him but looking thru the binos he had been gut shot. He was walking rather slow, but still not down for the count. I ranged him at 45 yards and then shot. The arrow took out one of his lungs and liver. He ran by me...I was two feet up a tree...Yes that's right...two feet is all I placed my stand. Just high enough to see about the weeds. He ran by me and I'm glad there was a tree by me as he sprayed my pack with blood. He ran about another 40 yards and was down for the count 2 minutes later.

I'm glad that I took him out...I didn't want to kill a young buck like that as I was going to try and get a nice 8 pointer later this year, but I still have one more buck tag that I can use. When I gutted him the arrow that was used to gut shoot him was a three blade broadhead but it tore apart his intestines. Poop and food all in the body cavity. So I got rid of the inner straps and now he is in my basement fridge. Feels good to get one down on opening day...even though this was a mercy killing.

Looking forward to the rest of the year. Sorry, no pictures as it was 80+ degrees and I had to work fast.

Paul[/align]
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Chouteau Island DRT...

just wondering do you still have to get a permit to hunt on chouteau island I know a couple years ago you did, just wondering if you still had to. By the way where are you from? I live by Tri City speedway in Granite City
Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

8 Tines,

Yes you still need to pick up a permit at the DNR office at Horseshoe lake. Don't want to be caught without one...bad mojo. I live in Alton, and this my third year hunting on the Island. Last year I was banned from the Island simply because I forgot to send in my hunt sheet.

Paul
Old 10-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the info I usually do most of my hunting in perry co. but I do sometimes hunt the patch of woods across from cometco in Hartford. A guy named Dave Mueller rents the ground from the power co. but some years he lets me hunt some he doesnt. My uncle lives in the house right there and has deer in his back yard all the time so on the years he doesnt let me hunt I hunt at the back of my uncles land.