Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Adult Hunter Safety in WI? >

Adult Hunter Safety in WI?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Adult Hunter Safety in WI?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Spike

Default Adult Hunter Safety in WI?

As someone who didn't hunt growing up (no hunters in the family) but who is planning on trying it out this year with some friends, it seems like if you're an adult who wants to start hunting there aren't a lot of options for safety courses. I missed the cutoff by 1 year so I am required to take a safety course to hunt, but I really don't have the time (or patience) to sit through one of these 4-6 week classes where I'm double the age of any other person in the room minus the instructor. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking hunter safety, but it seems like there should be some more adult friendly options unless I'm just the only person in the state who decided to try hunting later in life.

I was able to find some CD-ROM/Online courses where you study before hand and then go and complete the testing in one 8 hour session over a weekend, which was perfect. But now it seems as though all of those course listings have been pulled from the WI DNR website.

Does anyone here from Wisconsin know if there are options available other than the weekday evening youth-oriented courses?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Adult Hunter Safety in WI?

check with your local gun clubs . I don't know where you are check with the dnr or call Gander Mountain or Cabela's .
Charlie
Old 09-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually most of the courses are not designed for just youths they are designed for everyone. I think you would be setting a great example to the younger new hunters if you were to join them. As soon as my son is old enough to take the course I plan on attentending it with him as a refresher and to help him out a bit if he gets frusturated. Dont feel ashamed if most of the attendants are younger than you, you should feel proud for setting a good example of a true sportsman.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes a good example is right!!!!!! I will also be taking a refresher course with my son as soon as he's old enough, I' looking forward to it!!!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Spike

Well it sounds like I'll just have to free up my schedue and make the time for the full blown course. But thanks everyone for the replies!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have fun with it, its a fun course to take and is required by law in WI if you were born after 1973.
ORIGINAL: justaguy93

Well it sounds like I'll just have to free up my schedue and make the time for the full blown course. But thanks everyone for the replies!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:01 AM
Spike

Yep that's the funny part....born in '74. [:'(]

But I'd have taken it either way before hunting. No real good reason not to, especially for someone like me who never went with his family growing up.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Actually most of the courses are not designed for just youths they are designed for everyone. I think you would be setting a great example to the younger new hunters if you were to join them. As soon as my son is old enough to take the course I plan on attentending it with him as a refresher and to help him out a bit if he gets frusturated. Dont feel ashamed if most of the attendants are younger than you, you should feel proud for setting a good example of a true sportsman.
Hit the nail on the head!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

You'ld be surprised how many older guys there are the class. I was when attended with my son. If you ever what to hunt out of state, most states require Hunters Safety for non-residents to get a license. Canada also requires Hunter Safety certificate to hunt.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

wis bow hunter is 100% correct can't wait for my son to be old enough in 7 yrs.. I will be sitting right next to him. I didnt take it till I was 18 and I was the oldest but did'nt feel okward one bit. Good luck to ya.