Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio Rut

Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ohio Rut

I am planning a trip to Ohio this year to hunt some family land in the Lima, (Ada) area. I know that the rut is a little different every year due to the moon and the weather, but on average, what are the dates that you Ohio bowhunters make sure that you are in the woods (peak rut)? Also are you expecting an early rut this year due to the full moon on the 26th of Oct? One more question, do most of you that hunt the woods along corn and bean feilds, hunt in the woods or on the woodline. Thanks for yall's help!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 PM

Default RE: Ohio Rut

i havent bowhunted yet (will be this year) and i live about 45 minutes from lima. and i have hunted both fields and woods. problems with fields are that sometime the deer prefer the middle (sometimes not) so it can very hard to get a shot. I think what works the best for me is find where the deer bed and find where deer like to go/eat and hunt a trail. i hunt one acre of woods but i know that the deer in point A want to go to point B and have to pass where i am sitting to get there. As for the rut, i hunt all season and whenever they decide to rut, i will be in my tree.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have only hunted Ohio in my life. The rut starts kicking in towards the end of October and can go trough the end of November. Last year, November 14th was the best day (i shot my buck and saw 3 others). If you hunt fields you will see lots of deer including bucks but its hard to get them in range for a shot. I like to hunt about 50 to 100 yards into the woods were the bucks stage before going inot the fields after dark. Another method is to hunt pine trees, i have good luck with using them as cover and doing rattling techniques. Just be prepared for the bucks to come in fast!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:48 AM

The second week of November (11-05 to 11-10) will be your best!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Prozacaddict

The second week of November (11-05 to 11-10) will be your best!!!
Sound familiar Bro??
Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the information guys, keep it coming! If you have some good techniques for hunting the edge of corn feilds, please share.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:31 PM

The dates mentioned above are great. I am just north of Lima and Ada in Findlay. Its all fields around here just like down there. Corn and beans around here is to much of a good thing. The best way to hunt them IMO is find a trail where they exit the woods headinginto a field. The corn fields around here are so big that once deer enter them they head deeper into the field and out of range. Sometimes they will walk the edge of a woods along a field. The best place I think to hunt are the inside corners of woodsor where a ditch or tree line come up to a woods. I have killed the majority or my deer on the end of a tree line by the main woods or on inside corners then any where. The beans come off first, and usually the deer will browse in them. Then the corn comes off and it seems like right after it is off they hit it hard, then slow up a little until it gets good and cold and they they start hitting it hard again. A corn field is the best place tobe in the end of December during ML season.