Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ohio Deer limits?? >

Ohio Deer limits??

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio Deer limits??

Old 07-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ohio Deer limits??

Help me understand why the regs have a 24 dollar "deer tag" and then there's a 15 dollar "antlerless deer tag" for september 29-november25 only.

Does this mean that We can shoot our original limit in our zone with the 24 dollar tags and then we get extra doe tags for each zone for 15 dollars?? This is confusing me! anyone help??!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ohio Deer limits??

I dont quite understand it either, but from what ive read/heard, you can get up to 4 additional antlerless tags. Dont qoute me though.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's in the urban areas though
Old 07-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, the new regulations arent just for urban areas. Im not exactly sure how the urban areas also play into the amount of deer you can shoot.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

After checking the ODNR website, you are right. Now you can only use the permit in the urban zones. When the regulations were first passed, they said that they could be used thrughout the state, but once it made the regulations it was changed.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok now im confused:

Antlerless Deer Permit ($15)
The Urban Deer Permit has been replaced by the Antlerless Deer Permit ($15). When and where the Antlerless Deer Permit may be used has been expanded.
Hunters must buy a Deer Permit ($24) before purchasing any antlerless permits.
Antlerless Deer Permits may be used to tag ONLY antlerless deer taken during the archery season statewide between September 29 and November 25 with longbow or crossbow, in any of the Urban Units or at a Division of Wildlife Controlled Hunt. After November 25 the Antlerless Deer Permits are ONLY valid in an Urban Unit or at a Division of Wildlife Controlled Hunt. No more than four (4) Antlerless Deer Permits may be used during the 2007-2008 hunting season.
BUT, in another section:
Here is what you need to know about deer bag limits:
Using the Deer Permit ($24) ONLY:
[blockquote]
A hunter may not take more than:

ZONE A - 1 Deer limit per license year
ZONE B - 2 Deer limit per license year
ZONE C - 3 Deer limit per license year
[/blockquote]
A hunter may not use more than one (1) deer permit in Zone A; not use more than two (2) deer permits in Zone B; not use more than three (3) deer permits in Zone C.
If you want to take additional antlerless deer you have the option of buying and using up to four $15 Antlerless Deer Permits.
Using the Antlerless Deer Permit ($15) between September 29-November 25 ONLY:
[blockquote]
A hunter may not take more than:
ZONE A - 1 Deer limit per license year
ZONE B - 2 Deer limit per license year
ZONE C - 3 Deer limit per license year
[/blockquote]
Outside the Urban Deer Units, hunters may use no more than one (1) Antlerless Deer Permit ($15) in deer Zone A, no more than two (2) Antlerless Deer Permits in Zone B, and no more than three (3) Antlerless Deer Permits in Zone C. Antlerless deer tagged with the Antlerless Deer Permit ($15) in any of the Urban Deer Units DO NOT count against the number of Deer Permits ($24) a hunter can use in each of the Deer Zones.
No more than seven (7) deer may be taken statewide during the 2007-2008 hunting season regardless of the type of permit used.
Antlered deer are deer with antlers 3 inches or longer in length; antlerless deer include deer without antlers and deer with antlers less than 3 inches in length. There are restictions on when and where these deer may be harvested and the permits that may be used.

Somebpdy please explain all this mumbo jubo to me??
Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Well the way I take it is....Ihunt in Perry county, Zone C and I'm a bow hunter. So i can get4 does with the new anterless tags (old urban),2 does with and either sex tag $24 and one buck with a either sex tag.
But you can only use the anterless tag during archery season and during the dates it states. Anytime after those dates you have to use the anterless tags in urban areas only. Thats my take?????????
Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats what i was thiking, but its wierd becouse it says the same thing for both:

Antlerless Deer Permits may be used to tag ONLY antlerless deer taken during the archery season statewide between September 29 and November 25 with longbow or crossbow, in any of the Urban Units or at a Division of Wildlife Controlled Hunt. After November 25 the Antlerless Deer Permits are ONLY valid in an Urban Unit or at a Division of Wildlife Controlled Hunt.
Ijust dont quite comprehend it
Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 AM

You guys are reading into it too much! LOL!! They basically doubled your zones bag limits with antlerless tags. They will no longer be called "urban" tags and will now be called "antlerless" tags, but the "urban" Zones are still able to be hunted, just have to get the "antlerless" tag for in it. If you had Zone A last year you can get one deer with any weapon any time of the season, and you can get one antlerless deer with archery equipment before the gun season starts. Zone B is the same but two deer anytime in the season with any equipment. Then you can get two antlerless deer with archery equipment before the gun season starts. Zone C is the same, three deer anytime and three deer archery only before gun season. Here is the catch that may confuse some, They want to make at least one full price sale on a tag before you can buy the cheaper one. So you have to buy at least one $24tag before you you can buy the $15one. You do not have to use the $24tag first, you just have to buy it. So all the people that gun and bow hunt you buy a $24tag and a $15 tag at the start of archery season. After you have your tags you save your $24tag for gun or ML season and use your $15tag during bow. Again, you do not have to use your $24tag first, you just have to buy one. The only way you would have to use it first is if you get a buck, then you are left to does only for the rest of season since you can only shoot one buck per year regardless of zone.

So here is a break down...

Zone A - One Buck for $24, and one archery Doe for $15, or one Doe for $24 and one archery Doe for 15 and get a $24 Buck in Zone B or C.

Zone B - One Buck for 24 and one Doe for $24 and two archery Doe's for $15. or two doe for $24 and two archery Doe for $15 and get your one $24 Buck in Zone A or C

Zone C - One Buck for $24 and two Doe for $24 and three Archery Doe for $15. I do not think in Zone C you can shoot six doe and get a number seven deer ( buck) in A or B unless one of the does was in a actual "urban" zone Doe.

Again, you do not have to use your $24 tag first, just have to buy at least one before you can buy a $15 Tag. Buy both and save the $24 dollar tags for Gun and ML. Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Cay4redneck

No, the new regulations aren't just for urban areas. I'm not exactly sure how the urban areas also play into the amount of deer you can shoot.
The Urban areas are still set up the same just have to buy the tag that is now called "antlerless". You still can only shoot a max of seven deer regardless of zone or area. So if you shoot six deer total in Zone C you could only shoot one urban zone/area deer with the $15 Tag that must be in a "urban" zone like around Cincinnati or Columbus or Dayton areas. So if you lived in the Toledo area you could shoot one $24 buck or doe, one $15 Doe, and four Urban Zone/area Doe's on a $15 antlerless tag. But they must be in the "urban" established Zones. A hunter can only use Four antlerless $15 tags regardless of Zone or area. so in Zone C you cant use one $24 tag and Five $15 tags.