Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Question about Michigan Vacation >

Question about Michigan Vacation

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Question about Michigan Vacation

Old 06-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question about Michigan Vacation

I am wanting to take my family for a vaction in Michigan this summer. Is there a good area that has fishing, preferably in a river and plenty of stuff for kids and shopping for my wife also? I would prefer to be close to one of the great lakes.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about Michigan Vacation

The Great Lake State of Michigan has alot to offer forvacationers , I wouldn't know where to start with all the information.
On the west side of the state on the shores of Lake Michigan there's place's like Muskegon and Grand Haven.
They both offer great fishing in and around rivers and they both offer things for the wife and kids , there's historic lighthouse's in both cities.
On the east side there's Monroe where they offer fishing on the shores of Lake Erie and the Huron River.
Monroe is a historic city with alot of things for kids to do and see and I'm sure your wife will find some great place's to shop.
It really depends on how much travel time you want to put in , ifyou want to stay close to the Indiana border then there's place's like Benton Harbor ,South Haven andHolland , all right on the shores of Lake Michigan.
If you want to be close to the Buckeye State well theres Monroe , Trenton , Wyandotte , River Rrouge and Detroit along the shores ofLake Erie and the Detroit River.
If you wanna go futher up north , on the west side , above Muskegon there's place's like Pentwater , Ludington, Manistee , Frankfort and Leland with Taverse Citynearby the bay.
The east side above Detroit , theres St. Clare Shores , Port Huron , Port Sanilac , Harbor Beach and Pointe aux Barques at the tip of the thumb near Port Austin on the shores of Lake Huron.
Then there's Bay city, Standish , Tawas City , Oscoda , Harrisville , Alpena and Rogers City all on the shores of Lake Huron.
Check out their web site at (michigan.org. ) and look into there travel and recreation link for more detailed information.
Feel free to PM me or E-Mail me at ( [email protected] ) if you want to , just let me know where you and your family are coming from and I'll try to help in any way I can.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Spike

Possibilites are endless. michigan.org has lots of travel info too. I live on the West side. Tons of fishing, tons of rivers. Lake Michigan too. Lots of tourist spots near the big lake. The sunsets are great.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 04:27 AM

check out the benton harbor area awsome fishing
Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beehunter, I was born an raised in Grand Haven mich. awesome place, But if I had to pick 1 spot for thewhole family it would Be Ludington, You have some awesome inland lakes that you can fish and also the big lake and then there is the Pere Marqutte river for trout or if the time of year is right Salmon or steelhead and lots of shopping. Walt
Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 PM

i would say in Mackinaw city, there is a lake with the best fishing around its called Paradise lake, there is lotsof hotels and downtown has TONS of shops, ice cream and put-put. also you can go across the bridge!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Iwould also have to say Mackinaw City area. Lots of great fishing nearby.Rivers, streams, inland lakes, and 2 Great Lakes. Lots of shopping. Nice new water park. And a trip to Mackinaw Island would make for a great vacation.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son and 5 of his buddy's left last Friday night for Beaver Island out in the upper end of Lake Michigan for ahigh schoolgraduation trip. I looked online and it looks nice, lodgeing, golf courses, eating joints, etc.There is some lakes on the island. It was a 2.5-3 hour ride on the ferry accross the lake to get to it. I wish I could give you more info but eveidently they don't have a reliable cell phone service up there, I haven't heard a thing from him since Friday. They have a web site though. Goggle "Beaver Island, Michigan".
Old 06-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree sisfire , Beaver Island is a great vacation spot their little inland lakes are crystal clear and on the south end of the Island is like going back into time.
The old town stilllooks like it did back in the late 1800's , they even have wooden sidewalks and hitching rails for horse's.