Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

December in MN

Old 12-18-2002, 10:25 PM

Default December in MN

I spent two of the three muzzleloading weekends in Minnesota in the Southeast corner of the state on a farm looking for whitetails. The first weekend was miserable weather - 15 degrees and 30 mph winds. Hunted all day Saturday and saw only one deer, which I bagged. Saw nothing on Sunday.

On the third weekend, I saw no deer whatsoever. Weather was beautiful. I was hunting on a ridgetop farm and combeined both still and stalk hunting.

My question for those familiar with this area (glaciers didn't reach it, so very hilly and erose) is where the heck were the deer? This area has the highest deer population in the state, but they were not showing themselves at all. I had two strikes against me in that I didn't really know the area or the deer's habits well, but figured the time and overall knowledge of deer would be sufficient to ensure at least one more farmland deer sighting. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:05 AM

Default RE: December in MN

I am a MN hunter also, but in different type of country, I hunt in the Central farmland area. After rifly hunting deer wise up. I think they take residence in swamps and clearcuts and move at night. with no snow yet there is a quite a bit food availiable in the woods they don't need to move far. I used to hunt in similar country I would hit plases that you would least expect, groves, rock piles, small cattail swamps, little areas. I have seen some nice deer get up from weird places, after rifle season. hope this gives you some ideas.