Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
US WISCONSINERS NEED TOO STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!!!! >

US WISCONSINERS NEED TOO STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!!!!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

US WISCONSINERS NEED TOO STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2002, 08:55 PM

Default US WISCONSINERS NEED TOO STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!!!!

We need to band together and tell the dnr what we feel about "T-ZONE" tags and move gun season to a different time period. WHY:Who all bow hunts? I do. When gun season comes around well thats when the bucks are "SUPPOSED TO BE IN RUT" I can't remeber the 1st time there actually was a good rut. Move rifle to a later date. Screw this t zone crap there isnt hardly any deer out there. and for 2nd season bow i didn't even wana go out. The deer were probabley still the whole month. Yah especially when i hate tzone is when jerks come up and shoot off bucks and mistake them from does. Plus you have n idea how many nubbin bucks are shot off!!!!! We try QDM around here but the neighbors shoot brown. Surprise there isnt any people injured the past few yrs. So stick with me and you guys can add more to what im trying to get out. HELP
what do you think

Edited by - drache on 01/17/2002 08:54:46
Old 01-16-2002, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: US WISCONSINERS NEED TOO STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!!!!

I had heard, correct me if I am wrong, that the insurance agencys and some others in Wi were going to sue the DNR in Wi for NOT doing its job being to many motor vehicle collisions? I heard that just last fall. I'll try and get more details for ya.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:18 AM

Brandon, do you belong to Wisconsin Bowhunters Association? Without the current two T-zones, the gun season may become longer, and earlier, covering even more of the rut. Right now, some state senators, WDHC, and snomobile club ass. are proposing a 16 day gun season. This is far worse than temporary T-zones.

Please allow me to repost this...

Wisconsin Bowhunters Association News.

"The Joint Committe for Review of Administrative rules will be taking public testimony on changes to the deer season structure as proposed by Deer 2000 and the Natural Resources Board. The Wis. Bowhunters Assoc. Board of Directors is asking for your support and immediate action to this matter. We ask that you contact the legislative memebers of this committee listed below and ask them to support the recommendations of Deer 2000 and the Natural Resources Board. There are several changes proposed in this package that will benefit bowhunting, while some items in an alternate proposal would be harmful to bowhunting.

The Deer 2000 rule would move the Oct. T-Zone season to an earlier start date, the Thursday nearest Oct. 22nd. Although we would prefer to eliminate the Oct. T-Zone completely, the alternate proposal from the Assembly Natural Resources Committee would keep the dates on the last weekend of Oct. The Deer 2000 rule would establish a 4-day Dec. antlerless gun season statewide, beginning two weeks after Thanksgiving. This would have a 3-year "sunset clause" which would end it if there were too many conflicts with other outdoor user groups, such as snowmobilers. Bowhunting would be permitted for either sex during this hunt, however, blaze orange would be required. We believe this would be an effective managment tool to keep the herds at goal, thereby substantially reducing the need for T-Zones. We also believe that this late antlerless-only season would open some private lands that would not otherwise be open before, or during, the traditional buck hunt.

This Dec. season has been strongly opposed by the Assoc. of Snowmobile Clubs, who is on record opposing any deer hunting after Dec. 1st. If we are not allowed to have an antlerless hunt in De., that would only leave Oct. or early Nov. for additional herd control measures. The alternate proposal supports the position of the snowmobilers and would prohibit any gun deer hunting in Dec.

The Deer 2000 rule would continue the 4-day extension of the early archery season in T-Zone units. The alternate proposal would eliminate this Mon. through Thur. extension. Please make WBH, your state organization, an effective advocate for bowhunting and let the legislators know of our resolve. This important matter needs your timely action immediately!"

Mark Houslet, Pres. Wis. Bowhunters Assoc.

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]
Old 01-16-2002, 08:34 AM
nub

Brandon: The best way to change things is to show up for the meetings. The DNR is in the process of cooking up their numbers and won't discuss them till the meeting in March I believe. T Zones have already been eliminated in Dec if the rumors hold true. Octobers will stay unless you show up to voice an opinion.

Lil: Never heard of it.

Sag: Proposing and preferring are 2 different things. I believe WDHC main agenda is to stop T Zones until the DNR can prove they are needed. As far as the WI. Bowhunters Assoc. goes, I'm a member and so are my close freinds. For as many members as they have opposed to T Zone hunting I think the need to rework their stand. Houslet lounging back at Capitol meeting laughing and snickering at all who speak against T Zones is not really how I would like to be portrayed.

2 of the 3 changes I wanted are set.
1. No Dec T Zone hunt.
2. We keep the 4 days before gun season statewide.

Now removing the October T Zone hunt in my unit will have to wait. You just never know, perhaps my unit won't be a T this fall. But if it is, I'll be at the meeting to voice my concerns.

WDHC <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Main Objectives
Our main objective is to &quot;unite hunters to ensure sound deer management and maximum hunting opportunity for the future&quot;.

Our plan is to do this through:

1. Educating hunters, landowners and the public about deer management

2. Political activism

3. Representation by professional lobbyists

4. Retaining legal counsel

5. Litigation, if necessary

CURRENT ISSUES

1. Postpone all zone-T hunts until the DNR can explain the large drop in harvest for the 2001 seasons

2. Require the DNR to break down and count the antlerless kill by: adult doe, doe fawn and buck fawn by management unit

3. Require the DNR to record and report all statistical data by management unit

4. Work with the legislature to maximize hunting opportunity without compromising deer management

5. Require all antlerless tags to be zone specific to eliminate overharvesting of areas

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>I'm for all of this. How bout you?

Edited by - nub on 01/16/2002 09:42:07
Old 01-16-2002, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey Nub, I will get more infor for ya tonite. My partner in Mn was talking about it and I would bet he has some literature on it. later....
Old 01-16-2002, 01:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 03:27 PM
nub

Brian:
1. I guess that would force the DNR to prove there is a need for T Zones ASAP. I'm not totally against T Zones or Earn A Buck and I don't think WDHC is either. IF THEY ARE NEEDED. And if they are done correctly.

2. SAK won't work if you don't know how many bucks are removed each year. You can't take percentages of antlerless harvests from the time before T Zones.

3. How can it be acurate if they don't seperate sex?

4. With the gun season, ML, and dec T zone how many days are there now? Any discussion of a 16 day gun season included keeping the traditional opener. And bowhunting 4 more days before.

5. Tags need to be specific and proportionate to the problem areas.

I don't think any sportsmen or women have a problem with herd control if they see a reason for it. Even earn a buck could be made to work if it doesn't punish those who do their part to control the herd every year anyway.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey Trapper, Shot a nice doe during last years 16 day gun season, almost shot a nice 8 pointer. Also saw a Biggun. It was hard to tell how big as the distance was great and the light was bad but even with those 2 factors you still could tell he was a hoss and man he didnt hang around long!!!
Old 01-16-2002, 06:13 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I can explain the large drop in harvest in 2001 - we shot 600,000+ last year, of course there's going to be a drop.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> Brian, I agree. But that is not true according to the DNR! According to them, it was all the weather. Supposedly, we had a population that was around 8% lower entering this season as opposed to 2000. But the 2001 gun harvest was lower by 33%! The weather played a part, but not to the tune of 33%. Given that, I agree with Nub and point #1 of the WDHC: <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>1. Postpone all zone-T hunts until the DNR can explain the large drop in harvest for the 2001 seasons.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> You bet!

For my own 2-cents,

---Rather than t-zones, try the 16-day hunt, started on the same weekend, if the population warrants it.

---&quot;Earn-a-buck&quot; encourages violations. How many people are gonna pass up a nice big 12-pointer when they haven't shot a doe? EAB is a dumb idea.

---I don't think we need to move the gun season, Brandon. This year had one of the unusual starts...mid-November...as opposed to later in the month.

Trapper1: <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>No matter what the dnr does people are going to complain.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> I agree. The converse is also true...to some extent, the DNR will do what they want no matter how much we complain. Unless we keep up the pressure as a group.

Quick Reply: US WISCONSINERS NEED TOO STAND UP AND FIGHT!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.