Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Decline in Pheasants >

Decline in Pheasants

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Decline in Pheasants

Old 12-24-2002, 11:36 AM

Default RE: Decline in Pheasants

Turkeys as well as hawks. I was out with my dog the other day an ran across three seperate place where a hawk had downed a pheasant. I will say my dog did point the place which was nice but no birds were take on that trip. I will be heading out this friday so we will see what happens.

EJ
Old 12-25-2002, 01:21 AM
Fork Horn

The three items you mentioned are right on target. Fox and house cats really raise heck with all birds and with the farming practice the way it is we will never see large numbers in SD like in the late 50's and early 60's. Support the CRP program as this is about the only thing keeping these birds and other game birds going. The Soil Bank Program of the 50's was a great thing for the pheasant and we had tons of them.

February 2003 = tired and Re-tired cop
Old 12-26-2002, 01:00 PM

If you want to help out the pheasant population, consider joining Pheasants Forever. They do a lot of habitat work and all dollars raised by the local chapters (except a $25 membership) stay at the local level to be spent in that area. That is what separates PF from the other orgs. KSHunter, you bring up some great ideas, coupled with habitat work, it will bring the rootys back.

Old 12-27-2002, 06:52 PM

here in ohio pheasants are non existant in the wild. the only time you find one in the wild here is when a hunt club doesn't account for all the birds they release during a controlled hunt. the climate isn't condusive for wild pheasants here. even if you could get a good number of them going....one bad winter and they'd all be dead.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:10 AM
Fork Horn

The pheasant is a rather stupid bird as far as winter servival goes.
In a bad storm, instead of sitting tight the pheasant will keep working it's way on top of the snow in the wind and elements until his nostrils freeze shut and it's dead. Late winter storms with the wet ice and snow mix can really wipe them out.

February 2003 = tired and Re-tired cop
Old 01-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

I admit hunting pheasants is a blast.

but shouldn't more effort be put into helping native game bird species ... Bobwhites, spruce grouse, ruffled grouse, woodcock, lesser and greater prairie chickens, turkeys, and all the native quails?

Pheasants really don't belong in North America, but they are fun to shoot.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:21 AM

KSH, I think you're right with regard to the reasons why we're seeing a decrease in pheasant populations. That being said, I think the biggest reason over the last 4 years has been the drought. Land practices have actually gotten better in many parts of the state. No-till is becoming very popular in the NW and NC parts of the state.

We've always had avian and non-flying preditors. But the loss of habitat due to poor weather has given the birds no place to hide. Turkeys have been blamed but they we're around before we shot them all out the first time. Bobcats, hawks, coyotes, skunks, o'possums, and racoons had excellent populations as well. We've all heard about "the guy" who shot a turkey and found quail chicks in it. Or about "the guy" that saw a turkey eating quail chicks while turkey hunting. Simply put, turkey season is BEFORE nesting season.

I think when we get back to "normal" weather patterns, we'll begin to see an increase in populations. I agree it's puzzling to see an increase in quail populations when the pheasant is not as fragile. On the other hand, we have to remember that quail and pheasant hatch at different times (peak hatch is about 2 weeks apart). Late June is much warmer and dryer than early June (specially this year).

Weather plays a VERY important role during hatch time. the NE has had cold wet springs for the last 7 years. The SE has had VERY wet springs and very hot dry summers for the last 5 years (execpt this year). The SW had record drought and heat this year and the SC portion of the state had excellent rainfall throughout the summer.

The losses due to heat stress are staggering. When the temp.rises above 96 degrees, both chick AND adult mortality skyrocket. The high temps during June, July, and August have exceeded 100 degrees for weeks in a row in many places. If you'll notice, most of the birds you've shot this year are adults (1 year or more old). This indicates a high loss of young or weaker birds due to "something". The only thing capable of this type of loss throughout the state is weather.

Habitat is the key. With the lack of cover the carrying capacity in Kansas is at an all time low. Only precipation and time can bring back the birds. We are at the mercy of the federal government with CRP and other "set aside" programs with regard to habitat. The state can't pay enough to make it worth a farmer's while to leave habitat for the birds.

The good news is that there are plenty of birds left for breeding stock. In the west where cover is non-existant, I spoke to a hunting buddy the other day that extimated over 500 birds coming out of a single draw. This is in an area where we had seen fewer than 50 birds ALL SEASON.

I've hunted every region of the state this year (twice in you're home area) and have seen and shot birds. Like you, it's taking me much longer to get a bird than it used to, but it at least tells me that there are birds out there for breeding.

Unfortunately, overall breeding stock are low enough that it's going to take 3 to 5 years to bring birds back to even average populations. This year the federal government allowd CRP to be hayed and grazed in counties declared to have "emergency" drought conditions. Then, when the rains didn't come in the fall, the goverment extended the deadline for haying and grazing from August 30 to November 30. The haying and grazing on CRP land will greatly reduce nesting and brood habitat next spring delaying the best nesting opportunities until Spring of 2004.....if the weather is conducive to a good hatch.

Bottom line, it's gonna be awhile until we have decent numbers of birds again.

Edited by - Fred H on 01/07/2003 11:41:58

Edited by - Fred H on 01/07/2003 11:47:25
Old 01-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the information Fred.

I only went hunting for pheasants one time this year, and didn't get close enough for a shot, so I wasn't able to tell the age of them. But I have talked to a few of my buddies, and they have told me that the majority of the birds that they shoot are yearlings. Do you really think that heat stress to the birds causes a staggering amount of deaths? Disregarding the age of the birds shot, I don't see 105-110 degree weather in the days, could be hot enough to acting kill a pheasant as long as they have water. They always a bit of grass or shrub to hide in the shade and most of the time a good amount of wind.

Pheasants raised in capivity are brooded at appox. 98.5 degrees. I've witnessed times when the brooders would malfunction and not turn off, causing the heat to be up in the 110+ range and still as long as the chicks have room and water, they're usually ok. Wouldn't the heat stress affect the quail the same also? I'm know many do die every year from heat stress, but birds in the wild, I would consider it a very low percentage of deaths that are directly related to heat stress water and shade is avaliable(Which has been in even the drought years)IMO. The adult pheasant is a hardy bird.

I do agree that the bailing of CRP, really hurt the birds this year. Just took away a lot of cover. Just seems there are also so many ditch and hedge rows being cleared, that used to be here before the drought years.

Where around here did you hunt? Just curious, becuase I've heard different reports for different parts of the county.
Visit My Updated Hunting Page
Old 01-14-2003, 05:10 PM

I think pheasants have declined for all of the reasons mentioned but I feel predators, especially hawks and owls, are a big part of it.

As a for instance, I have 67 acres here in Ohio that is not pheasant habitat, but should hold a large number of other small game such as rabbits. I do not farm it, but there are old apple trees, wild grapes, wild cherry, clover, plenty of cover and water. I hardly see a rabbit after the summer is over. Also very few squirrels despite plenty of hickory and oak. Saw the last grouse several years ago.

I think a lot of this began with the drop in fur prices. Hardly any trappers these days and very few coon hunters. Skunks and coon will certainly eat pheasant and other bird eggs as well as young nestlings.

I lose my training pigeons to hawks, but shooting them is illegal. I'm not for eliminating all birds of prey, but we sure need some control. Also bringing back fur prices or advocating predator hunting and trapping as sports would help. I sure miss the days of wild pheasants.

Airedales hunt for feather or fur!
Old 01-27-2003, 01:32 PM

I know the numbers in Iowa where I live are sure down from what they were even 10 years ago let alone 20 years ago. This year it was not even fun to hunt them. I would be for closing the season for a couple of years if that would help but I don't think that hunting is taking the biggest toll on them. The loss of habitat and weather has not been very good the last few years.

Turkeys have been moving into our area in the last 5 or 6 years and you can see a definite decline in pheasant and quail population when they move in. I don't know about the other areas but the turkeys need thinned out more than anything any more. They may be the most resilent birds I have ever seen.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"

Quick Reply: Decline in Pheasants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.