Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Question About Illinois Bowhunt... >

Question About Illinois Bowhunt...

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Question About Illinois Bowhunt...

Old 02-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question About Illinois Bowhunt...

I will be traveling from Maryland to Adams County, Illinois to bowhunt the second week of October. Is this too early to use rattling horns, grunts, buck decoy,etc... in this area?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question About Illinois Bowhunt...

Grunts, decoy, I would say go ahead and use them. Rattling, might be alittle early for that. I'm sure some of the other IL hunter's will chime in shortly.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

It's a little early for the Grunt call, but you can still get their attention. Traditionally, the rut doesn't start getting heavy until November. In early October there is still a lot of foilage on the trees and it is difficult to see at time. Making a little noise shouldn't hurt your chances IMO.

Where are you hunting in Adams? I'm from Quincy.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be hunting near Loraine, which is a little northeast of Clayton. I'm about to book a hunt with Bigneck Outfitters. I'm pretty excited about it. Our deer are soooo small compared to yours! A huge deer around here would dress out at around 150 lbs. Average buck is probably around 115-125 lbs.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

This buck came into a rattle bag and grunt tube on the 15th of Oct. this past season. Could have been a coincidence I don't know. However,about 1 minute after I hit a rattle bag and grunt sequence he came in very aggressively. He even walked past my shooting lane, only to be turned around again by another hit of the grunt tube. I usually grunt a tiny bit durning the first week or two. However, the night I took this buck was the first trip where I used the rattle bag. Early October is probably a little early for such calls but I have never noticed them hurting anything. So you might as well try them IMO.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Follow Up Question...

I forgot to ask about scents. Would buck urine or tarsal scent be in order? If not, then what would be? I appreciate all the replies!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Spike

Default RE: Follow Up Question...

I'm not a big user of decoys,but using a grunt call would be fine that time of year. Rattling is also ok. I have called bucks in with grunt calls as early as opening day, but I dont use an aggresive rattle early. I go easy on the rattles early. {My opinion only folks}. Depends alot on how our weather is here also that time of year. Just dont be aggresive with a grunt or rattles early.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input so far...it's EXTREMELY helpful. Keep it coming!!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Born & raised in N.W. Ill. & now in N.E. Iowa 30 min from my hometown.
Been Bowhunting 50 years now. I always use scents-Doe urine until the 15th & then switch to Doe sex scents-I do not use Buck scents. I us grunt call from day one through the season & very light rattleing until around the end of Oct-not alot-couple times per setting. After that I become more frequent rattling/grunt & aggressive with them.
My TWO largest bucks were taken during the 1st week of the season & both are P&Y. Pic is my smallest qualifier Buck taken on Oct. 4thin Ill.
Just cause it's early doesn't mean they aren't around.
Oh, I really don't care about P&Y(neverenter & have a few)but a nice Buck is something we all want to walk by whlie Bowhunting.
You will be in a good place for that-the Midwest.....Good Luck.....

Old 02-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grunting will work. But I am not a big fan of scents of any kind. I believe the deer can tell real from bottled. I prefer to go as scent free as possible.

Good luck with one of those big boys.