Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois Shed Hunters >

Illinois Shed Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Shed Hunters

Old 01-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Spike

Default Illinois Shed Hunters

It's time. I found a small rightside four point shed today.I got a trail cam pic on the 20th of a spike missing leftside rack. On the 23rd I got a pic of him missing both sides. So today I got a chance to take a short walk around and found the shed about 20ft into the woods. Not the spikes I was looking for but even nicer suprise.By the way this is Montgomery Cnty. Good Luck Everybody. sixeight
Old 01-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois Shed Hunters

My buddy saw a 155-160" with his full headgear earlier this past week. While I think they're starting.. it's still a bit early.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

In January? Too early. Those are unusual drops.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:47 AM

I have a cousinwho has a friend that shot a buck in the archery season before the late firearm season. It had already dropped it's antlers. Every year before the late firearmseason the guys who hunt on my father in law's ground are told to glass their heads well before you shoot them because every year someone sees a buck missing an antler prior to the hunt.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Spike

Well Uncle Matt, Not to unusual in my neck of the woods. I found first shed last year on 01-29-06 in the same area. I always start hunting sheds end of Jan first of Feb, Long before any Mushroom Hunters hit the woods.I Keep looking thru April. Good Luck to everyone. sixeight
Old 01-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Site Buck Guru

January drops are not unusual for my area either. S. Wis and N. Ill. Usually the larger bucks seem to lose them first. Most likely from the stress of rutting. Since the areas that I hunt are rather small and there isn't great competition from other shed hunters, I wait until the second week of Feb to start looking. I don't want to bump the bucks out of the area before they've shed.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Spike

Yeah Greg, I try to be careful hiking for sheds this early. Try not to stink up the place and only hike midday. Around here it seems if you dont find the shed as soon as it drops the darn squirrels chew em up. Good luck to all. sixeight
Old 01-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been getting a few pics of half rack bucks in the past couple weeks. I'm sure a few have dropped, but I'd rather wait another month until they are all on the ground to increase my odds of finding them and to keep from spooking bucks out of the area that are still carrying antlers.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

while coyote hunting they kicked out several bucks most which still had their horns. 2 half racks. so i think its still i bit early.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy hit a deer yesturday that had lost his horns already.

Quick Reply: Illinois Shed Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.