Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Is it just me or >

Is it just me or

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Is it just me or

Old 01-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Is it just me or

Is there an unusually high number of deer in southern Illinois this year even after both gun seasons and the bulk of the bow season. I just spent almost two weeks in Richland county. I am used to seeing a lot of deer there, but this year it was just plain crazy. I'm talking herds of a dozen or more standing close to the road in the middle of the day. I lost track of the times while I was out running traps or driving to town when I had to come to a stop to let deer pass in front of me. And this was way out in open areas. The farmers in the area had a lot of crop damage last year, but I hate to see what it will be like this year.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it just me or

I think someone needs to stop bragging. I'm just kidding but I wish that was the problem in Michigan.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto
Old 01-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm actually complaining more than bragging. I would like to see the population reduced by about 80 percent. Then, it would be safe to drive on the roads and people wouldn't be charging 1500 an acre for woods and acting like a-holes when it comes to fights over hunting rights, tree stand locations, etc.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy all you can @ 1500 an acre!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

1500 is just a ballpark figure. I paid 1300 an acre 3 years ago and could now probably sell it for 2000 an acre. I kick myself on a daily basis for not buying a lot more land 10 years ago when the stuff was 600 an acre. Still not as bad as some western and northern Illinois counties where 3000-5000 is the norm.
Of course, if some disease wiped out the deer population, you would see a lot of for sale signs posted throughout the countryside and have folks selling for much less than what they originally paid.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

You must live in the 'hand' and not the U.P. then...the deer population is pretty out of control up there too from what I saw.

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

I think someone needs to stop bragging. I'm just kidding but I wish that was the problem in Michigan.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Of course, if some disease wiped out the deer population, you would see a lot of for sale signs posted throughout the countryside and have folks selling for much less than what they originally paid.

Funny you say that. I heard yesterday that Ogle county is going to be a CWD zone next year. Shabbonna State Park is over there. I don't know if they have alot of deer infected, or if they just want to start thinning them out before the herd gets infected, but I imagine that won't be good for the deer hunters' leases.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bowman,

Given the population I have been seeing, its amazing that something hasn't already spread and resulted in a die-off.