Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Strange Black animal in the woods..... >

Strange Black animal in the woods.....

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Strange Black animal in the woods.....

Old 01-05-2007, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strange Black animal in the woods.....

MO Archer,

Don't be so quick as to rule out a big cat. My father and I have one on video tape in IL. where we used to live. It was less than 200 yards from their house crossing a 40 acre cut bean field. This thing would walk about 20 yards and then sat down. The whole time he was being followed by at least 20 crows in the air. Evey time he would set down a couple of crows would take their turn dive bombing him. I can't say that it was a panther because it was not as big as a leopard. Besides, I don't think a leopard could survive winter conditions in South Eastern IL. This thing had a huge tail probably 4-5 foot long and was probably only a little taller than knee high. I would say it weighed between 60 to 80 pounds. Was dark colored but also had a lot of silver in it. May have been old. I had heard the rumors of panthers turned lose by the DNR to control deer heards also. But, I know what we saw and I know what is on that video tape. We have at least 10 min. of footage and it is definantely a big cat. We are not the only ones in that area to have seen this animal over the years there either. Just a little food for thought.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

2-lunger,

Where are you at in Illinois? I'm from Richland County. I've heard some fellows on here who live over around the Little Wabash bottoms who have seen a lot of bobcats. But I don't think that bobcats anywhere get anywhere near 60 pounds.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

MO Archer,

Don't be so quick as to rule out a big cat. My father and I have one on video tape in IL. where we used to live. It was less than 200 yards from their house crossing a 40 acre cut bean field. This thing would walk about 20 yards and then sat down. The whole time he was being followed by at least 20 crows in the air. Evey time he would set down a couple of crows would take their turn dive bombing him. I can't say that it was a panther because it was not as big as a leopard. Besides, I don't think a leopard could survive winter conditions in South Eastern IL. This thing had a huge tail probably 4-5 foot long and was probably only a little taller than knee high. I would say it weighed between 60 to 80 pounds. Was dark colored but also had a lot of silver in it. May have been old. I had heard the rumors of panthers turned lose by the DNR to control deer heards also. But, I know what we saw and I know what is on that video tape. We have at least 10 min. of footage and it is definantely a big cat. We are not the only ones in that area to have seen this animal over the years there either. Just a little food for thought.
I am not ruling out anything except a bear/coyote/wolf/dog. The animal I saw resembled a cat more than anything, but it was bigger than any cat that i thought to live in this area. What you describe sounds about right minus the tail (I didn't notice it being that long) and the silver color. Call me crazy but with the rumors and what I saw I am almost positive it was a panther type cat. Maybe a call to MDC would be in order to find out if there have been any other sightings.

There are bobcats here in MO, but this was way too big to be a bobcat.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Wolverine is what it sounds like to me. Often leaves tracks but rarely seen.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Bartender

Wolverine?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Bartender

Sorry didnt see you stated that, my computer freaked a bit.
But im thinking same.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Bartender

wolverine

Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wolverines in the lower midwest, now that would be something. That would make for an unpleasant surprise for some coonhounds in a brush pile on a dark night.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

I had heard the rumors of panthers turned lose by the DNR to control deer heards also.

I believe the reports of big cats around Illinois, one was killed by a train a few years ago I think in South Western Illinois and I believe that was confirmed by DNR. I don't buy the rumor DNR turned them loose. I don't think they would be that irresponsible......then again I've been known to be wrong. I think it would take a OK by the legislators (sp?) to turn big cats loose in Illinois.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm from Crawford Co. around the Robinson area. I too have seen several bobcats but the black cat that we saw was definantely not a bobcat.

I've heard sightings and have seen footage of a cougar in the Annapolis (Crawford Co.) area taken by a farmer. I can see how cougars would migrate to IL.But what I'm pretty sure of is that there are no black cats native to North America. Theygot here somehow whether they were pets from an exotic farm or what have you and someone turned them loose. I've also heard of people treeing these type of cats with dogs while coon hunting. Whoknows. I was always told believe half of what you hear.

Quick Reply: Strange Black animal in the woods.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.