Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Does only in MN? >

Does only in MN?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Does only in MN?

Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Does only in MN?

North of Wadena and south of the falls is a 200 mile area and it doesn't line up. The falls is Kabetogama state forest not paul bunyan.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am keeping my vote for 4 points on one side minimum
Old 01-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

humblehunter......ah...it was a joke!!! Didn't you notice the smily face?

Teejay,
Sounds to me like you hunt around the Lake George area. There are some dandy bucks in the refuge there. I shot my first nice buck (10-pointer) back in the mid 70's in that area. Haven't hunted there in years though. I still scout it though and have seen some very nice bucks still. In the last few years though the area has gotten a lot of pressure from bowhunters and with so many places to hide it can be hit and miss. But they are still there! And believe me, there are LOTS of does. Find someone to fly you over the area in the evening or early morning and you will be shocked at how many you see. Also fly up the creeks and you will see a lot of deer in the creek trying to get away from the flys.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to ask what the deer-herd looked like in Mn. but I guess this answers it!

Me and afriend of mine from highschool are looking at a 40-acre patch 10 miles outside of Grand Rapids. We were wondering what the deer population might be like. We're meat-hunters, although neither of us would pass up a nice buck. We also already agreed that we ourselves (or anyone we brought up with us) wouldn't shoot anything with less than 4 points on a side, unless it was a huge 6-point.

How long is the bowseason up there?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 AM

The archery lasts from middle of september all the way to the last day of december.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Bowman15,

I have a friend that has quite a bit of land near Grand Rapids and he has a landing strip on it also. He does some game managemnet similar to me but also plants turnips and rudabegas. From what he tells me the deer situation there is doing well also. Has to do low passes sometimes to chase the deer off his strip before he can land.

Not sure what are in particular you are looking at but it is like anywhere else....best to take a look at it before putting any money down. Also, it would be a good idea to find someone that could give you a flight over the area. This has been probably one of the smartest things I do before buying property. You can see/learn so much more by getting "a birds eye view."

WW
Old 01-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

WWhunter, that's a great idea! We were definetly going to walk the land before we didanything else, but the fly-over-idea is way better. Maybe we could hook-up with your friend...?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

bowman15,

Just emailed my buddy from Grand Rapids. I thought he was closer to GR but I guess he is 40-50 minutes north (?) of there. I had thought he was closer than that but I guess the land he has is a family type thing. His dad, brother, and him all own it together. They already have quite a few people that hunt there. I have a similar problem. I bought my land but have 4 brothers and it seems like when it is hunting time they think they are part owners. Kind of hard to turn family away though.

It is getting harder to find places to hunt anywhere in the US. I usually invite people that have young kidsor beginning hunters to hunt, but this past year was probably my last. The guy I invited this year let his son shot a fawn and I had told him to shoot the doe. They left garbage laying around the stand, andno offer to help do any work around the place next summer. Others I have invited end up putting stands around in the woods bordering my fields. Nothing I can do as it is state land but it is pretty unethical to me. I'll quit my bitching now!!

WW
Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM

I could sacrifice one year without buck hunting. Do you realize the bucks you would see the following year. I also like the earna buck program as well as being able to donate your deer to needy families. way to go wisconsin
Old 01-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

bearbecker, I concur whole heartedly. Heck, I'd give up several years of buck hunting to help the bucks reach maturity. Problem is all the "trophy hunters" would be crying the blues. There is also the problem of economics. Alot of the area where I live gets mosts of its live blood from the fishing and hunting dollars that are injected into the local economy.

As for the hunter's for humanity stuff. If they could find away for the processing to be subsidized there would be much more given to the cause. But the majority of the people I know can't afford to pay $75-100 for processing just to give it away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.