Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Still ruttin' in Illinois? >

Still ruttin' in Illinois?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Still ruttin' in Illinois?

Old 12-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Still ruttin' in Illinois?

I went out this morning for a couple hours and saw a small 6-point chasing three does around. Anyone else seen any still chasin'? I don't know if it's got anything to do with a 'second rut' or if they're still in their first.

I'm in northern Illinois BTW.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Still ruttin' in Illinois?

Just got back from southern Il. public land 2ndseason, didn't notice any rutting activity. Shot a 2.5 yr. old 8 ptr. but I believe he was pushed by another hunter.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM

Oh yeah, seems like the 2nd rut does exist, this past Saturday I watched 3 bucks chase 2 does, 1 was way behind and followed their scent trail with his nose stuck to the ground likea bloodhound.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw another BIG buck (definetly mature) with his nose to the ground this morning. Gotta be a second rut I think.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in Champaign Co.
Yes, they are in the "second" rut right now.. I watched a big buck breed a doe Sunday evening.
Later, Phil B.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was on a job-site in Aurora and saw 2 bucks fighting for about 40 minutes. It was awesome! They were both 8-pointers, and the smaller/younger one would run way over in one difection, then turn and run way over in the other direction, and then turn again and run up to and lock up with the bigger buck. They'd go at it for a few minutes, and then they'd break, and the smaller buck would do the running-thing all over again. And when they locked up, they were fighting! Pushing and sliding each other around. They were really into it. There must have been 15 different tradesmen watching them.

One of the other carpenters and I were talking about the second rut, and he said he's convinced there's a second, third and fourth rut. He said that on the property he use to hunt, they'd see bucks chasing does in March. He said that if an area doesn't have alot of bucks, and all the does don't get bred during the first rut, then there's a second and thirdandthey would come into estrus every month until they bred and got pregnant.

Makes sense to me.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowman15

One of the other carpenters and I were talking about the second rut, and he said he's convinced there's a second, third and fourht rut. He said that on the property he use to hunt, they'd see bucks chasing does in March. He said that if an area doesn't have alot of bucks, and all the does don't get bred during the first rut, then there's a second and thirdandthey would come into estrus every month until they bred and got pregnant.

Makes sense to me.

Believe it or not, I was down in Pope County last Feb and watched a buck chasing a doe nearGolconda..........
Old 12-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

Guys,
IMO bucks chase does year around, after the middle to late Jan. these chases arent for breeding, rather just socialing. Im sure a buck was chasing a doe in March, but I would bet the farm that it wasnt for breeding purposes.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had 3 different bucks trying to corral a hot doe on Wednesday afternoon. Unfortunately, nothing bigger than a 2.5 year old 8, but it was fun to watch!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

Guys,
IMO bucks chase does year around, after the middle to late Jan. these chases arent for breeding, rather just socialing. Im sure a buck was chasing a doe in March, but I would bet the farm that it wasnt for breeding purposes.

Hate to disagree and I realize your saying "IMO" but I spend time at work and hunt with deer biologists...... there is some breeding after January.

Quick Reply: Still ruttin' in Illinois?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.