Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Any of y'all up North bear hunt? >

Any of y'all up North bear hunt?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any of y'all up North bear hunt?

Old 11-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Any of y'all up North bear hunt?

I'm looking to go black bear huntin. I put out a thread in the big game section and asked if anybody could recommend a good place to go bear huntin and all I'm getting is Canada, Canada, Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with Canada AT ALL, and I have heard that they have some HUGE black bears,but we want to possibly use hand guns, and we really don't want to have to fly to go. We're thinking of somewhere within a days drive. Something in MN or MI or WI, or elsewhere in the lower 48???

Any suggestions??????

THANKS!

Old 11-29-2006, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any of y'all up North bear hunt?

In Wisconsin you will need about five preference points to get drawn for a black bear hunt. You accumulate preference points by applying each year for the hunt which has a $3 fee. You can apply for the hunt or apply just to accumulate a point. If you apply for the hunt and don’t get selected for the hunt you receive a point. If you are selected for the hunt you lose your preference points regardless if you actually purchase the permit or not.

In Wisconsin you can hunt with bait or with dogs, but reads the rules under what circumstance each is allowed.

So basically if you want to hunt Wisconsin you might be able to in about 5 years.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/hunt/bear/index.htm

I was told it was easier to get a license in Minnesota, but don’t know the details.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kabic

So basically if you want to hunt Wisconsin you might be able to in about 5 years.
BUMMER!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Here is some info for MN looks like you may be able to purchase a license a lot sooner than in WI. I know they have more bears. They also have a list of Guides on thier page... I will let you dig around for the details.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/bear/index.html

Old 11-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey now dont be giving out any of our secrets! Yes we have alot of bear up here. Alot of areas you can buy over the counter tags. My best friend shot a 350 lb bear last year and one of the guys in his camp shot one almost 600. I personally dont hunt the greasy stinky things.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck getting a license.... anywhere for that matter!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not real tuff there buck hunter. They sell them otc!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, good luck in MI
Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 PM

in the south half of WI it might take 5. In the northern half it takes about 8 preference points. This will be my 5th year applying.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

In Mich. you have the draw tag system as well,But Some people I know get drawn on the first year applying.But then other's get drawn on the second or third year of a draw.
You can also hunt with dog's or over bait in Mich.
For the most part it would run you about $1,000 the hunt,(Not including the price of a Hunting tag and lodging&meal's)
You can apply as a buddy system where if one get's drawn you all get drawn,But I would check on the Mich DNR web site and read up on the rule's and Reg's.
Good luck to you in your quest.

Quick Reply: Any of y'all up North bear hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.