Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 iowa public land >

iowa public land

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

iowa public land

Old 11-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Spike

Default iowa public land

is there a place to find out where all the public hunting spots are in iowa. i tried the dnr website but couldnt come up with much
Old 11-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: iowa public land

Here ya go

http://www.sportsmanatlas.com/
Old 11-27-2006, 04:07 PM

check out Appanoose county. it is in zone 5 . Centerville is the county seat and there is alot of very good public lands to hunt on. Sedan bottoms is the newest and best deer hunting IMO
Old 11-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Stonewall,

I hunted Sedan Bottoms several trips back in the 90's. I have to say it was a great property until coon & pheasant seasons started. Then it was over-run and pretty worthless. Also bumped into two CO's there my last year. Seems there was a lot of poaching going on there from northern Missouri folks. Caught a few. Hope it's improved. Overall this property was very crowded with both locals & nonresidents. I foundbetter places. The worst thing were the coon hunters who pounded every nook & cranny of the public land when we wereat home sleeping. This took place at every property we hunted.

The bird dogs also really shut down nice bucks immediately. I saw many bucks walk around leisurely in October who quickly became nocturnal when chased by the hounds. The public land can be a puzzle there. Just have to snoop around till you find some unpressured corner. Usually the good bucks were just over the line on private land.

Reit,

Consider knocking on doorsfor private land but stay away from Albia area where leasing took hold. The farmers in Iowa are by the far and away the nicest folks anywherefor granting permission, especially archery. One buddy of mine got 5 yeses in a row. He had access to more land than he could even hope to hunt inthe best of habitat.

Check out Honey Creek State Park if you want to camp or gawk at booners.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Spike

thanks 4 the replies guys. im really looking for just places to go pheasant hunting i already have a great deer spot where we take many trophies out each year.

also i shoulda said in the original post were looking 4 ground around bremer and surronding counties