Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Eastern IA post rut help...... >

Eastern IA post rut help......

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Eastern IA post rut help......

Old 11-03-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Eastern IA post rut help......

I hunt in eastern Iowa, clinton/jackson county line. I am wondering what I can do to increase my success during our early shotgun season, post rut, in december.

Any ideas, any strategies??

Right now, when scouting the land we hunt, there are signs everywhere. Huge rub lines, scrapes, droppings, lickin branches everywhere. Have kicked a few up when walking in to repair my ground blind.

My ground blind faces north over looking a draw that runs down to the river with a small hill, and tall brush, great bedding area behind me to the south.

Any ideas would be appreciated, if more info is needed, please ask.

Thanks,
Baker
Old 11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Eastern IA post rut help......

i to live in eastern iowa and the way things go that first morning of shotgun season i would sleep in that ground blind friday night and shoot a deer at first light and go home your setup sounds pretty sweet just get one before world war 3 starts because then from what i have seen the deer totally change after everyone starts blasting at them
Old 11-06-2006, 03:35 AM

Hey thanks for the reply, the land is privately owned, and there will be no more than 4 others out hunting this same area. In the past, we have seen deer down low early, and up top late, I am up top. Do you know of any calls, that might work during post rut, just curious.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:01 AM
Bartender

Try that deer can estrous bleat. Oh man it works on bucks n does. Even late season.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 AM

Sit all day. Deer will move all day as the mass of hunters shooting slugs all day will keep them moving. I am always a little nervous in a groud blind on the opening of shot gun season. Like mentioned above it will be WWIII.