Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Rut prediction? >

Rut prediction?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Rut prediction?

Old 10-06-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Rut prediction?

Hi I'm new to hunting this year. Is there a way to predict the rut? If so how difficult is it to predict? Does anyone know approximatelywhen it will be for Illinois? I've heard about being out whenthe rut is going onand I'd like to witness it. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rut prediction?

YES YOU DO!
The Rut is the most powerful time of the deer season. It occurs during the first 2 weeks of Nov.around Nov. 8-15th is prolly the best time in my opinion. It was dwindle down and end at about the 1st week of Dec, however is still lingers until Jan...

For a beginner, one of the best places to hunt is a bottleneck or funnel. This is a place where deer are "funneled into a small area, hopefully in bow or gun range of the hunter. These often occur around creeks, fields and fencelines. Hope this helps and good luck, PM is you have any other questions, I would be happy to help you out any was that I can, and I am sure that this is true for most of the fellas here!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:57 PM

I have heard a new moon is a good indicator. Any truth to this?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Kinda...less light, more movement during light....really it very scientific. But to most of us who dont study its longer nights and shorter days! Hunt when you can! Again, let me know if you need anything! Good luck!
Willie
Old 10-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

During peak rut, you should see deer moving everywhere at any time of the day. Here in NE Indiana, it seems like it's always around Nov. 9th...but seen it hardcore during the middle of October a few years ago.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Spike

The rut is triggered by the amount of light in a day. I have found that it starts the last week in Oct. That has always been mymost productiveweek.
Good luck
Old 10-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I go by because I have read it in magazines and seen it on videos. The second full moon after the autumn equinax. With last nights full moon as the first look for the second full moon in November and this would be around the fifth this year. I will look around in my magazines and see who and where to go to find this information..........RJD
Old 10-08-2006, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the input. When would be a good time to start using deer scents? I was looking at the Buck Bomb and also Code Blues estrus, when should these be used?
Old 10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Scents should be used when breeding has started OR is going to start in the next couple of days, IF it is a estrous scent. Anytime before this is scare the bijeebies about of them....
Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 PM

Let me be the first to say: EARLY RUT THIS YEAR! I've said it many times, I'm bound to hit it right at least once.

Quick Reply: Rut prediction?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.