Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Mercer County Ohio info needed >

Mercer County Ohio info needed

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Mercer County Ohio info needed

Old 08-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mercer County Ohio info needed

I live on the eastern side of the state but was offer full permission through a long lost Aunt on 3 farms around Coldwater ohio. aprrox 700 acres all toll. Needless to say it is about a 4hr+ drive for me and wanted to know if anyone knows if this area hold enough big bucks to make it worth the ride to scout then hunt. Any info of this Couty/region would be greatly helpfull.

Trytan
Old 08-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mercer County Ohio info needed

I have hunted geese over in that county, the farms tend to be very flatand WIDE open, IF it were me I would try to find outas muchinformation about the farms,woodlots and such beforeI drove 4 hrs to hunt in a county that onlyhad 455 deer harvested (4th lowest county harvest in the state out of 88 counties)2004/2005 considering the top 10 counties here in ohio had well over 5300 whitetails taken in each of them.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Trytan74 get your anuts zip code and do a map search of the area, theres a number of places that you can get topo maps. Rich
Old 08-24-2006, 08:24 PM

From my exprience Mercer Co. is a horrible place to hunt. Just give me your aunts number and I'll let her know myself.

Seriously though, I live in Shelby Co. which is an adjacent county and Im telling you myself you have some prime land to hunt. It will be worth the 4 hr. trip as long as you stay the weekend. Just to verify what Im saying I think you should take a trip out this way and check it out for yourself.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Fork Horn

Actually I am looking to take a ride out possible for Labor day week. Spend about 3-4 days scouting and checking it out. I work a kind of strange shift so I get 3-4 days off a week so I might be doing alot of driving this yr if the big boys are in the area. To be honest I was concerned about the low number of deer takin in Mercer county at I contacted my Aunt about this and her words not mine " Most of the people in that area are high class snobs that don't hunt" Not my words and I mean no disrespect to the landowners in that area just what she told me.

Trytan
Old 08-25-2006, 01:07 PM

your aunt is right but its not only that, its the farmers. they are getting so tired of people not respecting their land they have stopped letting a lot of people hunt. and most the farmers I know dont have time to hunt.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:00 PM

Try MSN Virtual Earth to look at aerial maps of the property and save you some time and leg work: http://local.live.com/Default.aspx?newguid=f1f14691db5a4460a53538ecb8f9a 5fe
Old 08-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not travel that for for sub-par deer hunting (compared to other area's in Ohio). Mercer is flat farm land with woodlots scattered throughout. Just my opinion.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:08 PM

How can you know if there is sub par deer there. Greene Co. is the same way and weall should know which buck came out of there. Hell all of the Miami Valley counties have the same make up. Its best to do a little scouting first then make your decision.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted all over that county, being that it's 15 minutes from my house. That's how I know (not to mention the ultra low deer #'s of the county for years and years). Flat farm land, wood lots scattered thoughout. Also hunted all over VW and Paulding county, which is exactly the same..and doesn't compare to Steuben/LaGrange just 50mi up the road in Indiana.

I personally wouldn't waste my time driving across Ohio to hunt Mercer County, I actually laugh when I think about it. If it's the only land available, eh...maybe opening weekend of gun season..maybe. But whatever floats your boat. Flat farm land for deer hunting in woodlots just isn't my cup of tea.