Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Hunting permission slips? >

Hunting permission slips?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Hunting permission slips?

Old 08-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Hunting permission slips?

When I was growing up in Illinois, getting permission to hunt on someone's land was an oral agreement. In fact, the unspoken rule, at least where I lived,was that unless someone had their land posted, it was open for hunting.Now, I think thatthe rule isthat you aretresspassing unless you have written permission. My dad just told me that there is an official form that you can now get for landowners to sign.I probably hunt on 8-12 different people during a typical year, but still operate on oral permission. And I don't make people signa form to hunt on me because i had never even heard of it until this year.This past year, I was checked by a game warden while hunting on my cousins land and he never said a thing about it. I'm just curious how many people out there get signed forms for every piece of property that they hunt, or if they have run into problems by not having one. I'm not looking for an argument pro or con, I'm just curious about different peoples' experiences.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting permission slips?

It's pretty much word of mouth for me atleast. But, I have ran into problems in the woods before. The owner's son of one property I hunted gave me permission to hunt. Well, his dad also gave permission to a guy. Neither one of us knew that there was another person hunting. So, one day I shot a little seven pointer and was dragging it out, just so happens I came across the guy on a trail...
Let me tell you it wasn't pretty, words were exchanged and so forth. He insisted that he was the only one who had permission to hunt there. He also didn't like the fact that I killed "his deer" and wanted to take my deer from me. After I set my bow down, took my jacket off and got in his face, he took off. I think it all could have been avoided if we had signed pieces of paper for sure. For people that don't know me too well, but let me hunt on there land, we usually write something up for insurance purposes...
Old 08-20-2006, 07:16 PM

In Ohio you must have written permission.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:18 PM
IDT

It's a shame things are not like they used to be....everything changes though I guess. Personally, I think the permission slips should be made mandatory. In my area of IL trespass is a major issue. I know I am quite tired of having my stands, cameras, blinds, ect stolen off my private property with clearly marked property lines. I am 100% sure it is by fellow hunters who mistakenly think they have free range! I get the signed permission slips when I hunt elsewherejust so there is no question.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a link for ODNR's down printable permisson slip . http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/PDF/DNR%208924.pdf

I make up 2 copys , one for me to keep in a 3 ring note book and another for the land owner

Personaly I wish the inforcment of tresspassing laws was tougher .
Hang the SOB's that mess up my spots with out having permisson .

Johnch
Old 08-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rocky - check your fax, I sent you the info. Let meknow if you want the actual red (pink) cardboard like cards and I'll mail them.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:40 AM
Bartender

Unc where you get those pink ones? I had some like that years ago from taking a bow hunting course offered by the IL DNR.

Thanks,
Peak
Old 08-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Matt,

I've been out of the office for the last day. Hopefully, my secretary got the fax and put it in my box. Thanks, I look forward to seeing what one looks like.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:52 PM

When I get permission from a landowner, especially elder ones, I ask if they'd like to fill out the permission slip. If they don't, it's no big deal. I just let them know if they dont that they may have to tell the warden that I'm allowed on the land. I still believe oral agreements are sufficiant enough, just kindof a trust type thing.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

In Indiana we dont have to have written but its given to us in the hunting guide. I never have had to us a slip and hope I wont.

Quick Reply: Hunting permission slips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.