Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 successful loser >

successful loser

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

successful loser

Old 07-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Spike

Default successful loser

Short story: had a check station operator working for me a few years who moved back to Kansas and insisted I got to go deer hunt there. So, I applied as a non-res for Unit 7, put Unit 8 and 3 as second and third optins, and guess what? Just found out they took my $400, gave me a tag for Unit 8 and called it "successful."

The old guy is scouting for me around Beloit and now I have a tag 100 miles away. Never been there, don't know anyone, what am I supposed to do?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Default RE: successful loser

Go hunt'n!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

If you didn want the tag for the other Units could you not have just left your second and third option blank?????

Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Look for some good public land

Old 07-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Is Unit 8 anywhere near where this guy wants a tag ?
Looking for a Kiowa Co. tag
If it is I'm sure he'd be glad to take it off your hands .
Old 07-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Spike

Hahaha. Thanks for the good advice. Sure I am going hunting there on some public land, or some walk in areas. But I was hopping for someone to jump in and say "hey Bubba, come over, I got a 22-point for you in my backyard..." well, I guess not...
Anyway, anybody out there knows the Milford wildlife area? Or Fort Riley? These two in Unit 8 Kansas?
How about Ouachita National Forest, let's say Polk Co in Arkansas, or LeFlore Co in Oklahoma?
Old 07-30-2006, 08:14 PM

Where were you going to hunt in unit 3? I have a rifle tag available but it is restricted to Rooks and Osborne counties. Of course I would perfer you book a hunt with me but I may be willing to sell it if you can get yours sold. PM me if interested.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Spike

francisc, You're in good shape. There is about 19,000 acres of public land in the Milford Wildlife Area, which is in unit 8. There are many big deer taken from MWA every year, and there are some secluded spots that don't even get pressured (especially if you have a boat for access). Not sure where you are, but is there a chance you could come out before the season and scout some? I don't actually know the ins and outs of the public land but could show you around a little. There are also some "Walk in Hunting Areas" which the state leases for hunters. You can check the KDWP site for a map of those. If you want to, shoot me an email [email protected] and we can talk more.

Matthew