Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ever have anything unusual happen to your shot. >

Ever have anything unusual happen to your shot.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ever have anything unusual happen to your shot.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:41 AM

Default Ever have anything unusual happen to your shot.

This should be a fun thread. Has anything odd happened to your bullet, arrow after hitting the deer. No intentional gut shots of course. You know did you hit the deer in the heart/lung area and have it hit a rib and end up in the spine, etc?

I once shot one in the front shoulder with my muzzle loader (T/C Hawken, mini ball) and it hit on the shoulder plade and went up the deer and thru the spinal column cutting the spinal cord and then down the opposite side stopping almost directly accross from the entrance wound. Until I found out what happened I said that the deer had a heart attack because there was no pass thru type wound, heart, lungs were perfect no holes.

Anybody else ever have a similar experiance?
Old 04-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ever have anything unusual happen to your shot.

I had a deer walk past my tree stand about 60 yds out I took a shot at him and watched a branch that I hadn't seen explode 1/2 way to the deer. He kept walking I levered in another round he was now angling away from me with the left side exposed. I droped him with the next shot. It entered back a litte to far on the left side, broke his spine and exited out the right side just at the last rib. When I skinned him out I found that the bullet had re-entered his right shoulder? At no time was the deer's right side exposed to me. The only thing I can figure is the impact foulded the hind quarters of the deer to such an angle the bullet when exiting actually re-entered the front shoulder. I use a .444 Marlin, I now have a scope on it to be able to pick out those branches.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

i shot one round at a buck years ago and it actually put 5 holes in the deer. i was using winchester failsafe ammo out of a 7mag. i hit the deer in the shoulder and the bullet broke into 3 pieces. 2 pieces actually made it through and exited the shoulder area on thte opposite side. the other piece came out under his neck and then re-entered at the elbow joint, completly going through it. needless to say, he was pretty messed up.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:49 AM

25 years ago my dad shot a buck across a field with a 243. Later when we were skinning it we noticed that the deer had 2 entrence wounds on the front shoulder, which didn't make any sense.There was a fence line that ran between where he shot and where thedeer was standing so we went back to check that and sure enough the wire was broke right where he shot. That deer was about 50 yrds away from the fence and I think it amazing the that2 pieces of that 243 bullet still hit the deer and killed it.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a big doe in the neck at about 45 yds.When I skinned her I found two holes in the right side of the neck.Knowing that a 150gr .308 will pass through ,I figured I must have hit somthing else first.Went back the next day and found a 3" maple with a nasty hole. It was about 5 ft from the deer when shot. Lots of power in that .308,killed both the deer and the tree. (Deer dropped in her tracks,tree did not)

Charlie
Old 04-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Spike

How bout this... Opning day rifle in mi, a very small button buck at 225 yrds, limping very badly with no signs of attact, i decided to put it out of its misery..made the clean shot only to find about14 inches of a 2217 along it's rump, about4 inches in and pointing to the tail. It had a pocket of blood shot out to the outer layer of skin.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

shot a whitetail in wyoming. Bullett entered through vitals (lungs) and then broke off ripping the deer's side all the way down to the butt end of the animal. One of the stranges things i've ever seen.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Many years ago when I hunted with a recurve bow, I had walked to my tree stand with a scent drag tied to my boot. We had gotten out kind of late and I was in a hurry to get to my stand, climb up into the stand and noticed I still had the scent drag. I took it off and threw it behind me. After first light I heard a steady crunching in the leaves and soon saw a small 6 pt. following my exact steps to the tree. He followed right to the tree and then looked up when he sniffed all the way to the base of the tree. Well I made myself real small against the tree and when he stepped to the other side I drew, held low for the string jump and shot. All hell broke loose, deercrouched, his front legs folded and he skidded face first to the ground, then got up and ran. I thought all right I got this one good. I climbed down found my easton gamegetter laying on the ground. When I picked it up it had a beautiful arc in it. We figured in aiming low the arrow passed between the deers front legs and tripped him, thus bending the arrow. Looked for blood and never found any and 2 weeks later I saw the same deer about 40-50 yds. from the stand. Guess I taught him a valuable lesson.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot at a deer in a field with my 54 cal T/C muzzleloader. I estimated the range to be just over 100yds, soI held on the top of the shoulder. The deer dropped, then thrashed, then got up and ran, leaving the field on a well-used trail about 200-250 yds away.

I knew I hit high, and paced the range. It was about 75 yds. Went to the trail the deer used and began looking for sign. Right there on the ground I found my 54 cal maxiball, a little deformed but not much, with rifling marks, and tallow on it. When I looked back to where I shot from, the spot where the deer dropped was exactly in line.

All I can figure is the bullet went through the deer above the spine, then hit the grass and came to a stop in the trail. I know that kind of thing happens all the time, but it's unusual to actually find the bullet.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

One time i was walking through the woods and i seen a deer so i shouldered my gun and right when i fired my shot the deer turned and ran away from me. I wasnt sure if i had hit it so i went over to see when i got there was blood and part of the guts laying there. After tracking the deer for about 150 yards i foun out that i had shot it right in the a$$ and it came out in the chest cavity. It was a mess inside i might add.

Quick Reply: Ever have anything unusual happen to your shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.