HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Law banning "canned" hunts in Indiana... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/137308-law-banning-canned-hunts-indiana.html)

Primitive Weapon 03-22-2006 11:41 AM

Law banning "canned" hunts in Indiana...

I thought this was interesting.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/603220500

kevin1 03-22-2006 05:25 PM

RE: Law banning "canned" hunts in Indiana...

It still has a way to go yet , there are a lot of unresolved questions .
I hope their decision sticks , and judging from what I've seen and heard it should . They may end up giving the canned ranches a few years to recoup their investment before closing , and I think a lot of Hoosiers would support that , and it's only fair since their industry got shut down . There was a push from certain "pocket legislators" to compensate them directly , but the legislature shot that down immediately before closing their session .

Andrew14 03-31-2006 01:05 PM

There ought to be a law banning canned hunts all over the United States. If you cant go out in the woods and kill one fair chase then you should not be hunting.

Big Country 03-31-2006 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Andrew14

There ought to be a law banning canned hunts all over the United States. If you cant go out in the woods and kill one fair chase then you should not be hunting.
High fenced enclosures are NOT my cup of tea either. I have never hunted one, nor do I intend to. My problem with this is simple..........you are telling a man that OWNS his property, and OWNS the high fence, and OWNS the privately purchased animals inside that fence, that he CANNOT do what he wishes(in a humane way)with those animals.

We don`t have to call it hunting, heck we don`t have to call it anything, but what is the difference between deer being killed inside a fence, and beef cattle being raised for slaughter?

This is about personal property rights, any other arguement is founded on mere emotion, nothing more.

OK, fire away!;)

bigbuckOO 03-31-2006 03:20 PM

Our state took a beating becuase of the Russ Bellar high fenced operation which ended up being shut down. Im sure everyone by now has seen the Jimmy Houston tape where he was at Bellars showing off with a huge buck in the middle of an open field, he actually shot the deer in about a 5 acre pen. Bellar broke just about every state law you can think of,including drugging deer and baiting them. Yes it was his property and his private operation, but he evidently felt he was above the law as well. That made many people angry and the real hunters in this state would rather not be forced to deal with another situation like that at any time in the future. Also, i dont believe high fenced deer killing has ever actually been legal in this state to begin with, you could have deer behind fences and you could raise them but i dont think they were supposed to be killed for profit. Up until the Bellar incident, the law was hardly ever enforced. Some states may see it differently, but i support this state 100 percent in shutting these operation down.

Big Country 03-31-2006 03:44 PM

BigBuck00, I am familiar with the Russ Bellar case. You are 100% correct that Bellar knowingly violated more than a few state laws. Mr. Bellar got what he deserved.

I do not agree with the state of Indianas laws making hunting privately owned animals inside a high fence illegal, BUT, that is the state law, and those laws should have been followed. If somebody like Bellar does not like or agree with the state law, he should attempt to have them changed. He should not violate them at will.

I saw the video clips with drugged deer that could barely get to their feet being killed as well. I am with you guys here as well, that is pathetic.

The majority of high fence operations do not operate in that fashion, nor do they operate outside of the laws under which they fall.

Russ Bellar sure gave a black eye to people wanting to exersize their private property ownership rights.

TurkeyStalker 04-01-2006 10:45 AM

Kevin I found an article on the net about Rodney Bruce, a guy who has high fences in Corydon. The article said that most places would be able to remain open for a couple more years. Those places disgust me, Like someone stated before if you can't hunt fair chase than do not hunt.

Big Country 04-01-2006 12:17 PM

It is a loooonnnggg way to the ground from a high horse.

There is not one single method of hunting that is free from ridicule within our very own hunter ranks.

I am amazed that so many of my fellow hunters have enough time to worry about what someone else does on their own time, and on their own dime.

We truly are our own worst enemy.

Lanse couche couche 04-03-2006 01:39 AM

I don't like fenced hunts, but I think that, within limits, its an issue of private property rights, IF people are stocking their own deer. But, I would hope thatthat folks can criticize the extremes in this practice without being too far up on the old high horse.

kevin1 04-03-2006 04:32 AM

ORIGINAL: TurkeyStalker

Kevin I found an article on the net about Rodney Bruce, a guy who has high fences in Corydon. The article said that most places would be able to remain open for a couple more years. Those places disgust me, Like someone stated before if you can't hunt fair chase than do not hunt.
If you ever get the chance to converse with him as I have you'll quickly discover that Mr. Bruce is about as far out there as our old buddy Kathaksung .

The emergency order by our director of DNR shut down all of the preserves other than Rodney's at the close of our most recent legislative session , the director wisely decided to give the legislature time to debate the issues in hopes of a resolution satisfactory to all . Bruce's operation was temporarily exempted due to his pending lawsuit , and a judge has issued a temporary injunction that will allow him to operate until his case is settled . Under the terms of the director's order all of the other pic n' shoots have to close now and no new start ups will be allowed .