Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Question for Michigan Bear hunters >

Question for Michigan Bear hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Question for Michigan Bear hunters

Old 03-21-2006, 07:53 AM

Default Question for Michigan Bear hunters

Can anyone help me out. I am considering applying for aBear tag this year but haven't got a clue as where to go or such. Just getting started in Bear hunting. Any help would be much appreciated......locations....assistance in setting up......etc.

Thanks!!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for Michigan Bear hunters

Lone_Wolf...first thing you have to do is to apply for the tag. Go to http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856---,00.htmlThis page tells season dates and links to the license page. Applications aren't available until April 15. I have been applying for 3 years with my brother and dad and we have yet to get a tag, so hopefully this year we can pull one. There are definitely a ton of bears to be had though pretty much state-wide especially in the southern counties of the UP. Good luck in the tag drawing!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:36 PM

Michigan has a preference point system for bear tags so it will be difficult to pull a tag this year if you do not have any points. However there are a couple of late season hunts that you have a decent chance to draw. Check out the regs when they come out in april and it lists in their the odds for each hunt. Don't apply for a low percentage one as you won't draw without points.

I would recommend that you start banking points, you can apply for just a point and it cost just $4. This way in a few years you will have a wider range of hunts that you have a chance to draw. I currently have 4 points right now and will probably apply for a point again this year.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:27 AM

THanks for the info guys. I also need ........ in a sense...... a mentor to help me out. Bear hunting has been a passion and a need for me, however I haven't a clue as to what to do if I was to get drawn. Where would I go? when to bait? etc. In one way you can say I am a novice/beginner. My real dream is to harvest each of the great bears, but with finances the way they are right now, the easiest is the black bear. Point me in the right direction pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Thanks guys!!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:22 PM

Your best bet to bag a bear is in the western U.P, that is where the bear densities are highest. That will be a problem with you living in the Grand Rapids area. If you are going to bait you need to establish your bait piles and refresh them often, which is almost impossible to do from GR as you need to refresh them a couple times a week. You can usually hire someone local to do it for you however.

Your other choice is to use a predator call and try to call one in. It does work but the success rate is somewhat low.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:16 AM

Again bull, thanks for the advice. Unless I movenorthward, it sounds as if I am SOL being in G.R. Man I hate this town LOL. I really wanted to get my first bruin on our own turf, but may have to settle going outside of Mi. I dunno.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 AM

It would still be less expensive to do it here than anywhere else, you can hire an outfitter which you would have to do anyway if you went somewhere else. The savings would be in the cost of the liscence and the cost of getting there.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:57 AM

Very good point bull! Now.....the next question.................He he he............Which or who for a guide?? This, of course is due to me getting drawn at all.?

Old 04-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Lonewolf:
If you drawn for a tag I know a few people who could set you up on a bait
I live and hunt in Northern Menominee county,Heck there is a guy who sell's bear bait that only lives one mile from me as the crow fly's
I wish you luck with your quest.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:01 AM

Hey 9th........That would be GREAT! Gives me encouragement to apply now. I have so badly wanted to go bear hunting nad just don't have the property, resources, etc. to plan a chance at even seeing a bear. If I do get drawn, i defintely would need any assistance you could give. I truly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Question for Michigan Bear hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.