Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Turkey hunting in Michigan in May >

Turkey hunting in Michigan in May

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Turkey hunting in Michigan in May

Old 03-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey hunting in Michigan in May

Hey guys, this is my first post on this website (even though I've been reading this website for over a year) and hopefully I could get some good advise. Me and some buddies failed to get drawed for a Turkey hunt in April, so we are thinking about going at the first of May. I'm wondering how the Turkey hunting is during that time of year. Is it a lot harder than in April and what are the birds usually doing. We are going hunting in the Wellston, MI. area (Manistee Forest I think). I've only been Turkey hunting once (in Wyoming and got a 20lb. bird with a 7" beard) and could use some help. My name is Brandon and I'm from Indiana. I look forward to conversing with you all. Thanks for your time.

P.S. Are the mushrooms up the first week of May?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Turkey hunting in Michigan in May

In my opinion the turkey hunting is better in may than in april. The gobblers are not henned up in may and they respond to calls better. I have had far more success in may than april. That is all I apply for now is our late seasons, you get more days hunting than the early seasons also.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think may is the best time of the year. My family 4 member's, have bagged 3 turkeys for 4 conseuctive years. We have some great fun.

If you can find areas that haven't been hunted, set back and let them come to you. If not, hit the calls hard and chase after them. Either way, it's a heck of a good time!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the responses so far guys, I appreciate it. Gets the blood flowing knowing that May will be a good time to go. Also, I guess this was not my first post, but it was my first post that I created (if you can understand what I mean).
Old 03-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Well looks like we are going May 1 - May 4 and I cannot wait. Would love to get my first Eastern Turkey.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

In the Upper Peninsula I have hunted in snow,In May yes it does snow sometime's But it's alot less likley to.
I agree with the other's the tom's are not as henned up,you still have them with some hen'sbut it's a little easier to call them off the group.
Good Luck To You
Old 03-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

I agree with the other hunters, May is great. Be patient in the mornings. A lot of times, after fly down, the toms seem to check out the real hens first. Then after a quick feed, the bred hens go back to nest, and the toms seem to gather and stroll the countryside in search of receptive hens. This is a good time for calling and decoys. I see a lot of action between 8:30 AM and 11:00 AM.
Good luck!
Old 03-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Spike

got my permit may 8 th to 31 stQ general first choice can't wait gonna try with my bow this year if it does'nt work out i can grab the gun later in the month