Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 southern indiana hogs >

southern indiana hogs

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

southern indiana hogs

Old 01-28-2006, 07:59 AM

Default southern indiana hogs

I have heard 3 people tell me about wild pigs around the Norman,Medora, and Hoosier Nat Forest.....Is this true? and how do you get permitted to hunt them?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Spike

Default RE: southern indiana hogs

10-15 years ago, some wealthy hunters in the Warrick County area (I'm not sure where) brought some European boars in to have a hunt. It was some type of hunt club. The hogs were supposed to be fenced in. They got loose. I remember reading a story about a guy killing two while bowhunting.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if you are supposed to hunt them. But I'm pretty sure that there are some around the Hoosier Forrest.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

You can find some hogs in Warrick and some of the surrounding counties , I'm not aware of any in the Hoosier Natl . They're not classed as game animals , so you can hunt them all year with any weapon according to IDNR .
Old 01-30-2006, 07:21 PM

my wife made a phone call to her grandmother in Norman In and confirmed the hogs and yes people have been hunting them in HNF but the majority of the hogs have been taken on the northern part of the forest she also mentioned "yellowood forest"? Anyway I'm going to try and find out from DNR about this think it could be fun I used to hunt them in Georgia
Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Heres a link , but don't expect much from them , apparently they don't keep up with the hogs much:
IDNR
Old 01-31-2006, 03:09 PM

Here is an idea that may work to find out where and approx how many wild hogs are in those area. If anyone knows someone that lives around there have them contact the local farm co-ops. They may/should have an idea because the farmers that utilize them would be talking about crop damage caused by the hogs. Farmers talk about deer so my guess is they also talk about hogs. Then if you find out post it for the rest of us. Okay.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

I have hunted them and killed them. There are over around Bedford, in a small town I am not going to mention. It got to the point the everyone and there brother was going over there and asking to hunt them. People got PO'd quick. That is why it is hard to find a spot. I havent been over there since around 2001. I talk to the guy I hunted them on and he still has them and kills some during deer season and at other time.There are not as many but they will nevercleaned them out they reproduce to quickly. Bogans on highway 50 use to have lots of hog pictures and some on the wall that were killed around that area.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:22 PM

Parrot you don't have to reveal any secret sources....But would it be possible that you could verify that there are hogs in the HNF around the Norman area... and what and where on 50 is Brogans...I havn't gotten nyone to say if there are really hogs in there or not they all keep telling me private farm land but hogs rome and I can't see them not being in the forest.......thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 04:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Hogs go where the food is , and farms have a lot more food than the HNF . Access to private land can be frustrating to get unless the hogs are doing a lot of damage , then access usally goes to local hunters known to the farmer .
Old 02-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Look at Hunting Indiana and go to hunting reports in S. Indiana. That very thing is being talked about.

Quick Reply: southern indiana hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.