Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Carrol County Illinois >

Carrol County Illinois

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Carrol County Illinois

Old 10-16-2002, 09:17 PM

Default Carrol County Illinois

I have moved north(new E-mail)and just looking for my fellow hunters who know this is where the realy big bucks live. There are so many deer here it is crazy.

as ussual Bucks Barn Resort after hunting.

RRT
Old 10-16-2002, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Carrol County Illinois

where is burlington, wi? I'm way north Wisconsin, towards duluth/superior. Little town called Brule.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:34 PM

Hey Robb-

im just curious to where Carrol County is by or what big towns its by. And whats the weather been like there? Where also have you been hunting at when you've been going?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:29 PM

Hi Rob,
You not to far from me.Im in lee co.I know what you mean about the deer numbers there.Few years back they hired sharpshooters to thin the deer around Lake Carroll area.Im thinking around a 1000 or so.The hard part is deciding which of the 20 deer walking past you do i shoot!!

Good Luck this season but you dont need it there

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!
Old 10-17-2002, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome back!

As you may know, Carroll Cty has some awesome hunting but it is 100% private so you need some land. I have been lucky the last 2 yrs and took a nice 156 1/2 BC right near Lake Carroll in 2001. My buddy has already seen a 14 pt buck that may score in the low-mid 170's and several nice 130-140 bucks.

I had to cancel my trip this year as my wife is due with our second child right near Thanksgiving. Awesome timing!

Good luck.
Bob

Looking at the world from 15 feet up.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:05 PM

Burlinton is about 40 miles south west of Miwaukee in the far south corner of Racine County. A great town to raise a family.

Carrol County is in the far north west part of Illinios on the great river. The reason hunting is so great is it is all the land is private except for a few state parks and the outfitters have not invaded us yet. We own on the bluff and it is the most rugged land one can imagine. In the last 10 years the smallest deer shot was 175lbs field dressed and we filled 5 to 8 tags in 3 days. Never have to try the second season.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:19 PM

Sorry to hear you wont be making it back this year Broadhead,But Congrats on your second child.
Did'nt you hunt the Lanark area last year?And got the 12 ptr.

Old 10-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

CarpetGuy,

I'm bummed that I had to cancel this year as it's such a nice trip for me. I did shoot a ncie 12 pt last year on the 2nd day since no one saw any deer the 1st due to the fog. We tagged my 12pt and a big 10pt as well as a decent 6pt that had an arrow stuck in his back.

As I metioned earlier--there are some monsters around the Lanark area due to Lake Carroll being only bowhunted and the land is all private. I'll be back next year though.

Good luck.

Bob

Looking at the world from 15 feet up.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:23 PM

Broadhead-Make sure you post next year when your headed our way.We will meet up then.Like we were going to this year.Deer hunting is fun,but you got a better thing going on back home there,Congrats on the Baby.Just think few years down the road and you'll be bringing him(hope) with you.

Old 10-25-2002, 03:41 PM

I hunt two farms that are right on the border of JoDaviess and Carroll County. The big bucks are all over out there, can't really say there is any one place that is better than any other. I took a 150 class 9 pointer two years ago and a 140 class 8 pointer one year ago out there. So far this year I've only had a chance to make it out there for one weekend (since in live in the NW Chicago 'burbs) and I've already seen a good solid 130-140 class 8 point. But like someone said, all the land is private out there so its gonna take some work to find a spot to go. There's a TON of people hunting out there over the past few years.

I know the bucks are starting to rut around here pretty good already so I'm pretty confident this weekend should hold some good deer sightnings and hopefully a successful hunt. Heck, I've already passed on 6 different does in only three nights out.

Quick Reply: Carrol County Illinois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.