Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Hunting next year in Ohio >

Hunting next year in Ohio

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Hunting next year in Ohio

Old 01-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Hunting next year in Ohio

A group of Vt guys and I are going to try the Ohio shotgun hunt next year. We have been hunting central NY and had good success but decided to try Ohio for next year. Any suggestions on areas to hunt. We are staying at Hocking Hills State Camp Ground in SE Ohio.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting next year in Ohio

If you are looking for public hunting areas, I don't know if there are any in Hocking Hills. Most of that area has hiking trails and scenic waterfalls and caves so I would sayit is off limits to hunting. However, Wayne National Forest is East of there and has public hunting. You could also stay at Burr Oak State Park Lodge. It's on the eastern edge of Wayne National. Nelsonville also might have a hotel/motel. It's surrounded by Wayne and it's also where they used to make Rocky Boots. Only a factory outlet store there now though, but they have lots of boots, clothes and housewares. Wherever you go, SE Ohio is one of the best spots for deer.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ohbowguy

If you are looking for public hunting areas, I don't know if there are any in Hocking Hills. Most of that area has hiking trails and scenic waterfalls and caves so I would sayit is off limits to hunting. However, Wayne National Forest is East of there and has public hunting. You could also stay at Burr Oak State Park Lodge. It's on the eastern edge of Wayne National. Nelsonville also might have a hotel/motel. It's surrounded by Wayne and it's also where they used to make Rocky Boots. Only a factory outlet store there now though, but they have lots of boots, clothes and housewares. Wherever you go, SE Ohio is one of the best spots for deer.
How far between Burr Oak and Hocking Hills? We are staying at HH because we could get a couple of cabins next to each other. We expect to drive to our hunting locations.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:24 PM

There's ton's of public hunting areas in and around Hocking Hills. It's right in the middle of Hocking state forest. One of the better areas in the state for Deer. Not nearly the pressure as some of the more highly touted counties. I'd look for places on the northern end or around Tar Hollow state park. A little flatter and closer to agricultural areas. Here's the link to the ODNR site. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Forests/stateforests/hocking.htm

Keep your eye out for private lands. They are dispersed through the state forest. Usually posted and marked with yellow paint boundries. But not always.

Stay away from Burr Oak. They do not have public hunting.

Another good area is Zaleski State forest. It's one county south of Hocking. It's a huge area of public hunting. Not as much pressure here, but the terrain is much rougher and there aren't as many roads to get around. Not much in the way of agriculture here, but plenty of mast for the deer to feed on. The deer also tend to be a little smaller here. Some of the hills in this area have slopes ranging in the 11-13% grade. If adeer happens to drop over the hill, it can be a rough time getting him to the top and out. Same senario with the private lands, not quite as many though.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Forests/stateforests/zaleski.htm

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks OH buster. We plan to take a road trip out there in late summer to secure some private land if possible. One of the guys has been out the before and has already secured some PL pieces. I am really looking forward to hunting out there. Should be a blast.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OH Buck Buster

Stay away from Burr Oak. They do not have public hunting.
[>:][>:][>:]u sure? my dad hunted burr oak state park for like 20 years before we found some private land to hunt. we hunt around like McConnilsville i think. we're thinking about building a little cabin there so we dont have to drag a camper down with us. all i have to say is good luck!
Old 02-15-2006, 07:53 PM

we hunted in meigs county last year.we have 130 acres we ieased.i spent 8 days bow hunting in nov and it was great.4 of us went out and one of us got a nice 8pt. we all had shots at smaller bucks and saw some real horses!!!! i spent 3 days hunting in the gun season and on saw a few deer.i dont know if you bowhunt, b ut i would maybe go out in the first couple weks in nov if you could.great hunting in south east ohio.