Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Another elk shot in Illinois? >

Another elk shot in Illinois?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Another elk shot in Illinois?

Old 12-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Another elk shot in Illinois?

Thought alot of Illinois boys would be a little intrested in this story. I first read about it in the Chicago Tribune this week (Dec. 15 sports section, "ON THE OUTDOORS" by Lew Freedman) but did a search of "brandon sachtleben elk" and got alot of news stories on it.

Shot down in Washington county. Some question the morality of shooting it. Some question what it really is. An actual elk? A Red Stag? A Sittka deer?

If your a bit intrested, do the search and read some of the stories. Then post your comments up here.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:15 PM

Default RE: Another elk shot in Illinois?

http://www.duquoin.com/articles/2005/12/13/sports/sports2.txt

Apparently it was an elk. I don't see what the big deal is.A fellow took a wolf here in Pike County recently. They're not regulated species in Illinois. It'd be nice to have elk in Illinois but would hate to see how bad the DNR would mess it up. Their efforts managing deer aren't doing any good.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Didn't they stock some Elk in Shawnee National Forest a few years back. Having Elk in Illinois would be nice. But then again, its bad enough with all the auto accidents from people hitting deer. Just think what's gonna happen when little old ladies start hitting Elk going 55 MPH on their way to church.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Looks to me like the state should legislate against shooting elk if they want any to grow. Last I heard the idea of stocking elk in Shawnee was shot down.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Two years ago I was hunting Fulton Co. One of the guys got an elk on video running across a cut corn field. Apparently the elk had escaped from a farm that had been raising them.