Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Baiting in wisconsin >

Baiting in wisconsin

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Baiting in wisconsin

Old 12-11-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Baiting in wisconsin

[:@]Iwould just like to know what most hunters in wisconsin think about baiting in wisconsin.Lets go back to the basics and stop this .I hunt in northern wi unit 49a and I think baiting sucks and makes the deer not have to move till dark.Their is so much illigal baiting going on it makes me sick lets all think about this a minuite and think about what it was like hunting five six years ago when itwas not so bad
Old 12-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baiting in wisconsin

I hunted aroundSayner area (unit 39) on public land got a nice ten and a doe with no bait.Baitings a pain in the a**. Most hunters dump the bait close to the road. So the deer stick close to theHWY.You are right about people breaking the law and dumping pounds and pounds of corn. I don't mind it. I just think it's lazy and it tells meyou don't know much about deer behavior.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:23 AM

I know where I hunt (Unit 25), that it is not uncommon to hear of someone dumping a huge amount of bait. The group I hunt with, we don't use bait piles all that often any more, we've gone to small food plots scattered throughout the woods, and hunt on the trails that lead to them (since it is suggested not to hunt on a small food plot, otherwise deer will visit them during the night time hours).

If we do put out some bait, it might just be a gallon of corn in front of a game camera...just to see what we've got up there.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to admit, I am a baiter. I dont do it to the extremes as some people do, but I do bait. But my bait consists of a coffee can full of corn every 3-4 days. I dont put it in one pile, I scatter it so the deer have to find it, and when they do, its a treat for them. This doesnt mean im shooting every deer that comes in, cause thats not the case. I take only 1 mature doe and one buck, 6 points or more during bow season. Not only does the corn attract the deer, it keeps them still for a clear shot, for a quick kill. 5-6 years ago there were no restriction on baiting whatsoever. Now remember theres different types of baiting, scents are considered baiting as well. So youre saying that thoes who use cover scents such as acorn, corn, apple, etc are baiters as well. And what about Doe estrus, buck urine, doe urine, etc, thats considered bait. You better not be using any of that and be bashing baiters cause now youre one too. This baiting crap has been pounded and pounded and you know it will keep going round and round to no end. I do my deer research just about all year round to learn their behaviors and patterns for each season. This means Im in the woods more than most in a year. This year I passed on a 12 pointer which would have scored more than 150 B&C because he didnt offer me a comfortable shot. There was corn, a hole field of it! I then passed on him a second time the next day out of a different stand in the woods, there was corn, not even half a coffee can full. He was eating kernals of corn for about 9 minutes before he turned and walked the same way he came in. I saw this buck on numberous occasions this year and he made it through gun season and will be there next year. I will not start flingin arrows at a deer like some non baiters do and wounding it. My point being, would I have seen this buck without corn, probably, would he have given me a better shot without corn, maybe, maybe not. How do I know id see this buck several times out of the year, because I did my research, located his rub and scrape lines, andlocated his bedding area, and monitored his movement beahviors. Same goes for the 8 pointer that I shot back in 2002. I watched him since he was a yearling, I got to know the buck on a personal level, I knew his every move, wher he was comming from, what he was going to do when he got to where he was going, what time he was comming and going. In 2002 I knew he was mature enough to take since he had sported an 8 point rack 2 years in a row. He wasnt going to get any bigger. i invaded his bedding area during the rut of the 2002 bow season after numerous sightings, and when i mean numberous I mean on a day by day basis, I saw this buck every day of the 2002 bow season with out getting a clean shot. I was not worried i knew he was goign down on opening day of gun season at 7:58am. How was I so sure? Simple research answered it for me. He was traveling right by my rifle stand at the same time every day for the previous 4 years. Did I use bait, no. There was no need to. Our buck to doe ratio in 2002 was about equal. Now our buck to doe is so out of wack that now we have to start shooting does just to balance things out again. This is where the bait comes to play. Good clean shots= quick lethal kills = faster recovery. I have not used scents in about 6 years, which Is baiting. Anyoen who disagrees with me on that one, be my guest. Heres why scents are concidered bait. Itdoes the same thing that corn, or deer pelets do, it attracts deer. Soif you want to be a real non baiter put the scents in the garbage, because none of them work anyway, and quit bashing thoes who do.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Spike

Default RE: Baiting in Wisconsin

Hell I go to the local orchard and get the bad apples and spread a whole pickup load in a pile at the end/bottom of the ravine on the farm I hunt 2 weeks prior to season. Got a corn field on one side and alfalfaon the other at the top of the ravineand that is were my stand is.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

You just told on yourself. In WI you can only hunt over 2 gallons of bait. I just checked the reg's. Whatever do what you will. Screw the law and regs.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 AM

The way I read the regulations is that you can't hunt within 100 yards of more that 2 gallons. lax may be over 100 yards away from all those apples.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It says from the 2005 reg. quote "You may not feed deer for hunting OR non-hunting purposes in the shaded counties. In the non-shaded counties you may not place , use or hunt over 2 or more gallons of feed for hunting or non-hunting purposes". The shaded areas is the bottom half of the state portage county, and then it pyramids down from there. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but to hopefully stop someone from getting a ticket.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting sux! You might as well hunt in fences!
Old 12-26-2005, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buck knife

The way I read the regulations is that you can't hunt within 100 yards of more that 2 gallons. lax may be over 100 yards away from all those apples.
Where is the heck did you read that!!! Better read them a bit better. 2 gallon limit in allowed baiting areas. 2 gallons per 40 acre parcel of land, that does not include adjacent land. 100 feet is a long shot with a bow....better get it straight the next time. You can hunt right over the bait pile in legal bating areas.

Quick Reply: Baiting in wisconsin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.