Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois Taxidermists >

Illinois Taxidermists

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Taxidermists

Old 12-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Illinois Taxidermists

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you knew of any good taxidermists in Illinois. I am located in central Illinois, but really have no problem driving some distance if they taxidermist is good. I was just wondering if anyone has had a deer done by a certain taxidermist and had opiniions, good or bad, about that taxidermist. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois Taxidermists

Bill Bourke in Oconee Illinois. He has done work for alot of big name guys such as Ted Nugent. He does a great job and is a great guy.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:27 PM

Where at in Central IL are you located Vogt..?

Theres a guy by the name of Bruce Fisher that lives not too far from me that does some great work. He charges $250 for a full shoulder mount. I have had both my bucks done by him and they look nice. I would highly recommend him to anyone around the area.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Spike

Paul Guertz owner of Sangamon River Taxidermy has done an excellent job on my buck last year and my dads deer from 3 years ago. I think he charges 180.00 or something along those lines, he is located in Foosland.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Typical Buck

I am located in the Pontiac area, in Livingston county.....
Thanks for some of the suggestions guys....but we have already found a person to do it. The taxidermist was a friend and co-worker of my dad, and then left that job to become a taxidermist. He did my dads only deer he has had mounted so far and my dad was so happy with it that he really wanted him and his co-workers to do this one, but he thought that he was no longer in the business. However, he talked to him and found out that he is, and he is still working with the same guys who did his first one. I really couldnt be happier because my dads buck and mine are quite similiar, and my dads is now over 18 years old and looks great. So im hoping mine looks just as nice and lasts just as long. The first pic is my dads buck he got in 1987.......

and here is the one i just got....

Old 12-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Vogt, I am right down the road from you. Just curious on who you took it to?

I took my last one to Emkins Taxidermy way over on the other side of Peoria. I have no complaints whats so ever.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:07 PM

Wayne Crackenburger, who actually is my uncle, does good work, but he is located way up here in NW part of the state.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

IL_BOW_MAN,
We decided to take him to a place in Bloomington called Bob's Taxidermy. Real nice guy, talked to him tonight when I dropped off my deer and decided on the poses and all. He had some real nice bucks in there waiting to be picked up. I took some pictures of some of the deer he had done in his shop, if you want to see any, just send me a PM and ill send you a couple.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

What is the going rate down at Bob's? I know Emkins is kind of high, but I was willing to pay the extra for a great mount. Be curious to see some picts when he is done. Don't forget to post them when you get it back.What is his backlog on getting deer done?

I think I might have talked to them last year on getting a coyote hide done. But I could be wrong.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

well, i wanted him to order a specific pose out of his catalog that he usually didnt carry, with a little more swolen neck, because i thought mine would need one cause i measured where it was swolen and it was aroun 31-32 inches.....and I had a walnut plaque and the little information metal tag at the bottom. It is gonna run me around $470 and should be done in 6-8 months.