Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Upper MI spring Turkey. >

Upper MI spring Turkey.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Upper MI spring Turkey.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Upper MI spring Turkey.

Ok, never been turkey hunting or applied for a tag. What can you tell me? The DNR web site dosent have the info up for 2006 spring hunt yet, when do they get that up?What are the chances of getting a tag for section M private land? Is it better to try for the private land tag or the genral tag. I have some private land I will be hunting.Can you only applie for 1 tag or do they let you have a second choice.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help.

Ow ya is the application Jan 1 - Feb 1?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Upper MI spring Turkey.

The local Sport Shops should begincarrying the pamphlets soon. If you go through the application period, it is January 1st - February 1st. You may only shoot one bearded turkey during the Spring Season.I don't know what your chances are, or if it is better to get private or general, etc. But what I do is this: I hunt a area that is very very large. Many different farms that I have permission from. Well, very few other people hunt them so the turkey's have no pressure. I don't know if you know this but after the application period you may buy a "fursured" license. It is like a late season after the applying season. It works out great for me because the turkeys have no pressure and IL am 100% sure I get a license. I don't suggest doing this for public land, you will rarely get a turkey in the late season. I hope I helped.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:35 AM

I don't know much about the sections and all that, I'm from Indiana, but we hunted Saginaw last year, public and private land. Both my hubby and I got drawn for licenses. We saw/heard tons of turkeys, the area isn't hunted very heavily, in fact, we didn't see ONE other hunter in the 4 or 5 areas we were in. Had one come in to me, about 30 yds out, however his head was behind a tree from my angle and I didn't get a shot before he bolted. I love turkey hunting, I haven't gotten one yet, but the trill of the chase is just as amusing to me as deer hunting, it's a whole different ballgame with turkeys!

My SIL made the Commemorative Bucks last year with a 11 3/4" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. She was on private land, set her blind up in someone's back yard basically... she got a full strut mount and it is SWEET!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 AM

I don't know because I have only bought the over the counter tag for the May hunt. This us a gauranteed tag with no draw. Where I hunt this happends to be the best time anyway, so I'm happy with it.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 PM

I hunt the UP in Menominee County for turkeys each and every spring. i am not sure which section this is considered but I have got a tag every year and there is always extras left over. You should have no problem getting a tag whereever you are in Michigan I believe I have never heard of someone up here not getting one.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:06 PM

thanks for the help, I have been checking with the local gander MT and they dont have a clue about anything [&:].

Thanks agin for the help.