Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 While Looking For Poison Ivy Info..... >

While Looking For Poison Ivy Info.....

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

While Looking For Poison Ivy Info.....

Old 10-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default While Looking For Poison Ivy Info.....

I came across this website (http://www.wwmag.net/pivy.htm) where this guy claims that by actually eating the leaves of poison ivy just a few times, you afford yourself at least a year's worth of immunization to the plant! While I get the rashes multiple times each year, especially when scouting and hunting, I don't know if I have the 'nads to actually eat this stuff in an attempt to become immune to it.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: While Looking For Poison Ivy Info.....

The indians used to do just that , thye'd start out eating a tiny leaflet every day in the Spring as the plants first greened up until they achieved immunity .
Old 10-25-2005, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't do it! You can actually get the rash in your mouth, esophagus and stomach. (Possibly lungs too)

Go get the shots that are available.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Is a guy going to eat the whole forest? There are more poisnous plants out there than just poison ivy. Poison oak and wild parsnip (pastinaca sativa) are two other plants that will cause contact dermatitis. I know that I am more sensitive to wild parsnip and most people probably think they have poision ivy when they might have had contact with wild parsnip. The end results and treatments are roughly the same.

OUCH! Been there.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:17 PM

My grandmother told me a long time ago, that when she was about 12 and my great uncle was about 10 that her father made them drink suntea made with different kinds of poisonous plants and sasafrass (sp...) she said after that she never got poison ivy or anything like that again. And she lived her whole life on the same dirt road in Bush, KY and walked the woods barefoot looking for john swifts lost siver mines and ginseng rootsup into her early 70's, wouldI drink it? no, but if you have a bad reaction to poison ivy, a few cups of poison tea might be worth 60 years of immunity
Old 10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never get any poison ivy/oak/etc the way it is. Maybe it's the Pabst Blue Ribbon I drink.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:02 PM

NO NEVER DOTHAT.on know some who's cousin tried that and almost DIED. was in the hospital for like 2 weeks and had his stomach pumpped like 5 times. i thought it might do the same for me....cure it and make me not get it. i metioned it and he told me the story of his cousin.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:11 PM

I Guess people were just tougher in the old days, look at us now a bunch of pansies with our lectric, faincy deer callin gadgets, and indoor plumbin'
Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: LLBUX

I wouldn't do it! You can actually get the rash in your mouth, esophagus and stomach. (Possibly lungs too)

Go get the shots that are available.
x 1 million
I would highly suggestion never eating the stuff. That would almost be as dumb as burningthe stuff and standing down wind of it . Hell, even drug stores sell solutions that you can drink to help your immunity build up against it.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

I've got some poison ivy pills that says they're made from the leaves.Homeopathic Rhus Tox 4x.Says that for prevention, take 2 pills am and pm for a week and repeat in 30 days.
I haven't used them yet to find out if they work or if they're just blowing smoke.Anyone else try them?

Quick Reply: While Looking For Poison Ivy Info.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.