Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Baiting deer in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan >

Baiting deer in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Baiting deer in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan

Old 10-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Baiting deer in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan

New to forum and looks like lots of info in here! Was curious if any of you guys have tried Baiting in the areas similar to mine? ( lots of farming) And if you do what type arethey? plots,spinners,gravity feeders, or supliments on the ground. Thanks HB76

Old 10-24-2005, 06:48 PM

Default RE: Baiting deer in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan

I hunt farming areas, and i have played with salt in the summer time for scouting reasons, but where i hunt in western indiana, there are just a lot of deer, food plots are legal in indiana but i dont know about the feeders, the deer use my area pretty heavy anyway so i say why mess with a good thing, if it aint broke dont fix it.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

No feeders or any food attractants 2 weeks (I believe) prior to hunting season in Indiana...although food plots are legal (DNR states food plots are not a "delicacy"..but more of a wild vegetative option).

Deer move like crazy in my area as well...no need to bait.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:20 PM

I have been thinking about playing with some biologic just to see how the deer act with it, i have seen it on TV but those guys are hunting from the tops of feeders anyway, hey Pat did you see the thing on the cover of the the Sunday Star this week about the canned hunts?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

No feeders or any food attractants 2 weeks (I believe) prior to hunting season in Indiana...although food plots are legal (DNR states food plots are not a "delicacy"..but more of a wild vegetative option).

Deer move like crazy in my area as well...no need to bait.
The area would be considered to still be baited within 10 days of the start of any hunting season according to the IDNR hunting guide.

We have a spin feeder for wildlife watching , but it was removed well before the season started so that I could hunt the property . I have a small patch of oats planted , but there's so many acorns on the ground right now that the deer aren't touching the oats .
Old 10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

IW..I did not see that article. What did it all say?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

IW..I did not see that article. What did it all say?
High fence article

Here it is . Feel free to browse the rest of the site , there's a good bunch of fellow Hoosier hunters who post there .
Old 10-25-2005, 05:21 PM

Baiting is legal in Ohio year round. We use a corn/molasses mix on a farm that plants nothing but soy for the last 3 yrs. Prior to the start of season we put apples out to see where the deer are traveling. Then we set up our game cams to see where the big boys are. Once we are confident what trails they are frequenting we use the corn mix to "enhance" the trails we want them to travel. We have learned that piling corn up is a waste, and the big deer will spook. By spreading it out the deer seem more comfortable and they definetly pay more attention to finding it and rooting around.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couple guys in the county i hunt in here in Indiana were busted for hunting over salt blocks. Apparently they had quite a few in the place where they were hunting. This happened a few weeks ago and i saw in the paper tonight where they had to pay around $350 in fines and they lost their hunting license for the rest of the year. Ouch!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is very pathetic. I can't believe people do this..and actually feel like they "hunted" that deer.

I hope this gets shut down.

Quick Reply: Baiting deer in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.