Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Any Missouri slobberknockers yet? >

Any Missouri slobberknockers yet?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any Missouri slobberknockers yet?

Old 10-30-2005, 06:45 PM

Default RE: Bucks 2; GH 0

Us 0 ...Deer..still alive and browsing...........

Well , day 2 of the youth season proved unfruitful as well. After a slow morning ( 2 does) we saw nothing else all day ...wind was ours, sun good...no scent issues...just probably hunting the wrong neck of the woods. (what woods) fencerows and slews.... Hope yall did better than we did....quite a downer after food plots, tracks by the hundreds...white clover browed to the ground...sign...etc etc...we went am before darktill bout 9:30 or 10 ....and back out about 2:30 until dark.....the only thing i think really knowed us down...those damn cotton module haulers and combines cutting late beans all day long , sunup , and they are probably still running right now...deer are certainly not gonna be normal under those conditions. Plus it is SO dry hear...we had a great setup near a wooded levee close to a streambed, where an old bridge funnels deer to cross the old gravel road and then go back into the levee cover on the other side...stilll ...nothing.......it was SO quiet out there two weeks ago....well...hope someoneknocked one down somewhere
Old 10-31-2005, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

Pony

I'm currently on the midnight leg of my swing shift...hunting's a little difficult right now lol. This morining on my way home, I spotted a spike standing in the middle of the gravel road just west of my property..been watching him all summer. The little booger's neck was swelling a bit. Got down to my house and in the neighbor's cow pasture just south of the gravel, I sawthe 8 point I missed tuesday. About 20 yards ahead of him was a lone mature doe. Things are heating up and should be about right for the Gun season in a couple weeks. Sorry to hear you all struck out. I don't know if you're familiar with it or not, butaround PB and a little north is Mark Twain National forest...it's actually pretty good hunting, especially compared tothe bootheel area. You might wanna checkit out. Also, I could probably put you onto some decent huntingon the Corps of engineer's ground surrounding Wappapello lake. You may have to walk a bit farther, but it's usually worth it.P.M. me if I can help.

GH
Old 11-01-2005, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info...we're gonna try and check out the area this weekend.....hope mr no shoulders stay in their holes......hate snakes...and I hear it's supposed to be pushing 75 to 80 this weekend.....
Old 11-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt in Gasconade outside the Hermann area and I've seen more does this year than any other. It is a point restriction area so the spikes have to walk around there. I've hunted every saturday since Sept 15 bow opener and I think this is the largest acorn crop I've ever seen. The deer are in the woods now and are getting ready to rut. I sure hope the weather gets colder its going to be in the 70s this weekend![:@]
Old 11-06-2005, 07:00 AM

Went to the area around Wapapello yesterday ....lots of sign , great habitat...and a pleasant surprise, not alot of folks out.....it was warm, 70+ degrees.....and we literally saw nothing....great open fields for viewing, crops still in fields...but no luck for us........maybe I am not holding my head right......??? Will give it a go again next weekend....thanks for the info......hog hunting there should be great in the winter as well...
Old 11-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Typical Buck

Great!

The weather's been a little rough for deer movement. If I had to bet, I'd say the deer are sticking more to the hardwoods right now. Last time I was up there, the acorn crop was phenomenal. I'd get away from the fields in the early mornings and key on draws that lead to and from the river, or the river corridor itself. Rememeber, the farther in you go, the less people you're gonna see!

Good luck!

GH
Old 11-07-2005, 08:46 AM

No question the acorn drop is one of the best I have ever seen.....we were impressed by the layout in that tract.....great for observation and a few really good looking rub lines we follwed into the hills......just did not have enough time....to sit and wait to see what we would see...maybe next time.......rifles are sighted in , just waiting on the calender now....
Old 11-08-2005, 02:28 AM
Typical Buck

3 days to go.......

Good luck Pony...hope you all get a monster!

I fully expect some harvest photos when you get some time!

GH
Old 11-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any Missouri slobberknockers yet?

I killed a mainframe 8 point with 2 extra kicker points on 10/22. Gross score is about 120. On Sunday (11/6) afternoon I had a 10 point directly under my tree and today as I tried to pull my bow up the tree an 8 point busted out of the brush where he had bedded down 20 yds away.

Lots of sign in the woods this year. The problem is trying to find a primary feeding area with the acorns so deep that you practically have to wade through them. I've just been focusing on heavily used trails and natural funnels.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:42 AM

Default RE: Any Missouri slobberknockers yet?

Harrison County Missouri - just south of Iowa border along I-35. Not seeing a darn thing worth metioning. Some does, but no shooter bucks. No bucks at all actually.

But I've got faith. Sooner or later something will show up.

Quick Reply: Any Missouri slobberknockers yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.