Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
First time Missourri hunt >

First time Missourri hunt

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

First time Missourri hunt

Old 10-02-2002, 09:57 AM

Default First time Missourri hunt

I am going to Barnhart, MO next week and I would appreciate any helpful information on what I can expect. Are the bucks in pre-rut,etc? What are the procedures for shipping (if successful) deer capes back to my home?
Miles
Old 10-03-2002, 07:01 AM

Default RE: First time Missourri hunt

I am not quite sure where it is you are hunting, but, up here in the N.W. corner of the state, things are still a little calm with not much going on right now as far as the pre-rut. The last week of October has always been my favorite time to hunt with a bow.

If you do score a nice deer, be sure to cape it out from behind the front quarters, and not just around the base of the neck!! There is no such thing as having too much cape!!! A buddy of mine took a nice 150 class buck last year and had someone else cape it out too short, and ruined the mount he needed to display such an animal.

Cape it clear to the base of the skull without slitting down the sides or back of the neck, and let a taxidermist do the rest(skull).

When caped out, lay the head on its side, smooth the cape out flat, and roll it up to the base of the skull. Put it into a heavy trash bag, seal it up tight, and put it into another heavy trash bag, and get it cooled in a refridgerator or freezer until it reaches the taxidermist. But get it to the taxidermist immediately if possible!!! He/She will take it from there. Good Luck!!
Old 10-03-2002, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Barnhart is about 10 miles south of St. Louis. I live just north of Barnhart. Good Luck to this season.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Richie, Are you around the conservation areas near Kahoka? Fox and Heath? I used to hunt up there years ago. Big Deer.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:54 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hey Richie, Are you around the conservation areas near Kahoka? Fox and Heath? I used to hunt up there years ago. Big Deer.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Sorry, I have never heard of them. Are you sure they are in the N.W. corner of the state? Maybe they have been renamed. Let me know what town they are next to.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Your right, they are in the N.E. corner,
Old 10-04-2002, 07:15 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
I will be staying in Arnold and then driving to Barnhart to hunt on some small tracts of land. If this place does not work out, can you recommend any public land near by?
Old 10-04-2002, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the advice. I really need to find out how people transport the capes back to their home via airplanes.

I am not quite sure where it is you are hunting, but, up here in the N.W. corner of the state, things are still a little calm with not much going on right now as far as the pre-rut. The last week of October has always been my favorite time to hunt with a bow.

If you do score a nice deer, be sure to cape it out from behind the front quarters, and not just around the base of the neck!! There is no such thing as having too much cape!!! A buddy of mine took a nice 150 class buck last year and had someone else cape it out too short, and ruined the mount he needed to display such an animal.

Cape it clear to the base of the skull without slitting down the sides or back of the neck, and let a taxidermist do the rest(skull).

When caped out, lay the head on its side, smooth the cape out flat, and roll it up to the base of the skull. Put it into a heavy trash bag, seal it up tight, and put it into another heavy trash bag, and get it cooled in a refridgerator or freezer until it reaches the taxidermist. But get it to the taxidermist immediately if possible!!! He/She will take it from there. Good Luck!!
Old 10-04-2002, 07:24 AM

Are there a taxidermist in Arnold? I know that I'm assuming a lot, but I want to make sure that if I do get a buck that I can take care of it properly.

Barnhart is about 10 miles south of St. Louis. I live just north of Barnhart. Good Luck to this season.

Quick Reply: First time Missourri hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.