Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Attn. WI guys, C.W.D. >

Attn. WI guys, C.W.D.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Attn. WI guys, C.W.D.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Attn. WI guys, C.W.D.

Today in BI 112 we talked about cronic wasting deases, it is a vary strange "thing", I call it a thing because I dont know how else to describe it. Well I am in the UP, and havent heard any thing about it in WI lately. What is the current state of the "thing"? Can you guys eat your deer kills. How far north has it moved, if at all.

Man that stuff is real scary, I guess thats what we get for thinking we can farm a wild animal like deer [X(].

If anyone is interested I can describe what I know about it, it is vary interestin stuff.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:14 PM

Default RE: Attn. WI guys, C.W.D.

Guss,
I haven't heard anything in the last two years that would indicate that it is a real growing concern, at least not up in my neck of the woods in the Rhinelander area. I am assuming that it is pretty much contained in the southern part of the state.

From what I had heard a couple of years ago; They did not recommend you eat a deer that was suspected of being infected , however as far as I know there has never been a documented case of CWD being transfered to a human. If the animal doesn't look healthy I would kill it and take it to the DNR, but if it looks good I wouldn't hesitate to kill it and grill it.

All the above is based on personal opinion and general knowledge; I haven't been concerned enough to do any research for about two years.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a link to a forum that is completely about the Wisconsin CWD debate.

http://www.bloodbro.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=35&sid=88727579e99ad0763ba69f3 5a1dfeecb
Old 09-02-2005, 05:08 PM

I hunt in loganville, just outside out the Eradication zone. We shot and ATE 5 deer last year and they did not test any of them. We were expecting to have to give the heads up but they did not even tryto take them. So we ate um and i feel great.

I have not heard too much new yet this year, i think from what i hear is that it is pretty concentrated in the Southern part of the state, But i aint no expert!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

My inderstanding is that the CWD area is around Madison. I think the plan is to kill every deer within a 50 mile area or something like that. I guess the guys in the eradication zone can kill as many deer as they want, but they have to drop them off to be tested.

I hunt in NW Wisconsin and there is no concern about it here. However, whenever we run across a sickly looking deer, we will kill it and then call the DNR to come pick it up. (Only happened twice in the last 5-6 years) Both times it was young fawns (5-6 months old.) THey never got back to us about a problem, so my guess is that it was a one time deal.... some infection, or perhaps poisoning, etc.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:03 AM

I am leaving town right now I will post some cool stuf about this when I get back. CWD can take around 50 years to show up in humans. [:'(]That would make me 72, who cares if I get it then.