Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Michigan Bear Permit >

Michigan Bear Permit

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan Bear Permit

Old 05-16-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Michigan Bear Permit

I put in and was wondering if anyone on here sent in for one? What is a good bait to use other than the originals??
Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 PM

Default RE: Michigan Bear Permit

I put in for the Baldwin Unit with 4 preference points.
I like to bait with a 50# bag of dog food covered with 10gal. of cherry mollasses.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:36 PM

We put in for Newberry, the last hunt. There is three of us with 1 point a piece,but I don't know the odds of getting drawn. When do you start baiting and how often?? I heard popcorn works good for bait and easy to get in. Only one of us has killed a bear, and I've never hunted them so not sure what to try first. Good luck with your draw.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont bear hunt but i would love to try it sometime. but last year a 400 Ib black bear was shot about 1 1/2 miles away from our deer huntin spot. im just glad i carry a 45-70 out in the woods with me.

good luck to both of you.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:42 PM

Recurve67, how many points do ya have. It take about four in my neck of the woods, MQT county. Bears will eat just about anything, grease works well, and peanut butter, it all depends what you can get your hands on. If you can get alot of old grease use it, if not use somthing else. I cant say one thing works better then the next because each bear is different. I just use what ever I have on hand.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:02 PM

I just have 1 point and both friends each have 1 point. I don't know if we will get drawn but the odds are better when you put in as a party.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:09 PM

You guys ever think about all the crap you fed that bear when you are cooking it, kindove gross hay. Recurver there are other ways to hunt a bear, calling, and visual baits. I have never got one with ither of these methods but it dose add somthing to the sport.

good luck with the draw
Old 05-19-2005, 03:25 PM

If we get a draw we will try a predator call. We're planning on a lot of scouting and I've been reading up all I can. It will be pretty thick where we are planning on going so spot and stalk is out. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:52 PM

recurve67, I read a artical in the past traditional archer magazine (not sure if that is the name, but it is close) there is a guy on the cuver with a long bow within 15yds of a black bear. The artical had lots of great info, some I knew but alot that was new to me. The issue is good tile june so if ya want it ya should get out and look for it.

Good luck finding it.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:03 AM

Thanks Guss , I will check it out.

Quick Reply: Michigan Bear Permit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.