HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Land for Sale or Lease (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/land-sale-lease-92/)
-   -   Want to hog hunt with my kids (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/land-sale-lease/422360-want-hog-hunt-my-kids.html)

toddhog 12-16-2019 12:11 PM

Want to hog hunt with my kids

I have twin boy and girl 13 years old. I live in Land O Lakes, FL and I really want to find a lease that I can put up a feeder and teach my kids to hunt hogs with a compound bow. I spoke with a guy in BassPro and he said he leases in Perry Florida and he hunts twice a month. Said ne usually gets a few each time. Really want to find a lease that I could do the same. Spending time with my kids is my main objective. I used to hunt in MN when I was a kid. Had told them stories about my hunts and recently they came to me and said they want to hunt.

kacey 12-31-2019 11:43 AM

Cost of hunting lease in lower half of Florida is crazy. Any place within 2 hour drive from Miami, Tampa or Orlando will have high demand so prices will be high. Leases south of Orlando area will start at $4k per year and go up to $12k. North of Ocala you can find leases for $2k per year.

Oldtimr 01-02-2020 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by toddhog (Post 4366751)
I have twin boy and girl 13 years old. I live in Land O Lakes, FL and I really want to find a lease that I can put up a feeder and teach my kids to hunt hogs with a compound bow. I spoke with a guy in BassPro and he said he leases in Perry Florida and he hunts twice a month. Said ne usually gets a few each time. Really want to find a lease that I could do the same. Spending time with my kids is my main objective. I used to hunt in MN when I was a kid. Had told them stories about my hunts and recently they came to me and said they want to hunt.

Check around and talk to citrus orchard owners, I would be surprised if you did not find a place that would allow you to hunt for free. Hogs are a problem for them.

Bocajnala 01-02-2020 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4367868)
Check around and talk to citrus orchard owners, I would be surprised if you did not find a place that would allow you to hunt for free. Hogs are a problem for them.

times are changing....

-Jake

Central PA Sportsman 01-05-2020 09:43 AM

I hunt public land in FL, and have taken 2 smaller hogs but my suggestion would be teach them the proper skills and techniques and then take them to a pay to hunt place, many reasonable places in FL. I only suggest this because you could spend a lot of time in the field and not see a thing, usually a turnoff for most kids. Another suggestion is just start talking to people and you never know what you'll find. I met someone through a friend of a friend with 2 - 5 acres bordering WMA, he had feeders set up and let us spend an evening hunting.....for free (nice campfire, eating, socializing and hunting) we saw hogs but didn't get a shot opportunity, had a great time and were invited back any time. Believe me, there are people out there. Good Luck.