Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Shelbyville

Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shelbyville

Snuffy & I hit shelbyville yesterday ans shot up north. Was fairly slow. did find some rolling long nose for a bit and did land one over 4 foot. did not measure it but he was pretty nice. had a bunch of pull off's both with commons and buff's. water is a bit lower but still pretty high. water color varried from place to place. Wind was a nusience as was the heat. I drank 2 bottles of water and 3 bottlrs of gatorade and did not go tinkle until we got back. always fun on the water.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Well we went below the spillway for the first time. The current was rough and we got alot of straing but alot of people having no cluie and wanting to see some fish. The water was very clear and wwe had alot of missing fish in 3-4ft of water. Mostly small suckers. But i did shot wwhat i thoght was a huge silver or bighead at first and it got off in trees. Hard to control the boat going down. We finally got some fish in tho and did see prob 3 fish over 20#. We got a short lived battle with moby dick. Called it moby cause it was solid white in the water and we both missed it first time we went by in like only 3 ft. bout an hour later we cruised same spot and there it was again right afte all the other busted out again. My buddy missed a chip shot at it when it turned real fast. So i started yelling to turn around and we finally did and decieded to run it one more time as the troller was dying after about 4 hrs on 100. We actually see it again and i stoned it right in the head but my arrow came out when i pulled on it and then he missed it. My arrow gets stuck and he gets a massive knot as we watch teh fish float of with current. After a few min we get ging to look for it since i knew it was well over 20# And we see it and it gets caught on a stick so we shoot as current drags us by and miss AGAIN. As we creep up i try to gaff it and it breaks away and we have to chase it again. After several misses at it about 3 ft under i finanly get an arrow in it and when i pull it in a realized tip was barley in so i gafted it and got it in finally. scales bounced betweeen 24-25 for a bit b4 finally locking in at 23.98. The current was whipping arrow as soon as it hit water which i think had alot to do with it not sticking well. Besides me rushing and prob only doing half draw. Alot of fish to be had tho if we could shoot. Only a few good ones and a few beast in there but we was out 8-1 or so and they started coming out good after 11
Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Joe, nice story. But unless I missed it you did not say what the fish was? And what Spillway?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Yea we were bout running into another boat the whole time we kept trying to get him after i killed him. We ended up apologizing after we got him in since they was fishing and we was only a few feet away a few times.
shelbyville spillway and this one was a white buff (moby)...all the others we seen and shot was black....a group of 10 or so black ones would bust of right b4 we seen this one the first two times....wierd thing was that most of them had huge heads and really scrony bodies. This one had a little meat on it tho.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

another note for anyone that does go...we were told u cant go past the bridge as it is a recretional area... this was after we had been up there for hour or so.