Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
keeping trolling mtr.batt. charged >

keeping trolling mtr.batt. charged

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

keeping trolling mtr.batt. charged

Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default keeping trolling mtr.batt. charged

If I get a 1 bank charger and hook it up to my main batt.and the other end to my troller batt. will this charge my troller batt. when the engine is running?I was looking at the Cabelas model for $90.00.Both batts. are 12v.and I don't know if a 1 bank is enough?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always been told by the "experts" not to run a charger while you are running your troller. They said it would burn up the board in the troller.
That being said, I used to run a battery charger on my 12V set-up (years ago). It was a 10 amp maximum rating. I had two batteries hooked in parallel (+ to + and - to -). I think it ran as long as any troller I ever owned.
The down side was I had to run the gennerator.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deffinately go with a converter... Don't run a charger, it will not be able to keep up with the drain on the batt and you stand a chance of frying your troller.......
Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

idk bout chargers. But def spend the lil extra and go with a dls45 cnverter and it will keep up with ur troller all night and ur battery should be full at the end. If you wanna run day without it on then get it charged while out at night then u want the 55. But you do have to run them off your genny and i believe they take between 1000-1200 w to run at full draw
Old 06-10-2011, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Iota DLS45 draws a max of 750w at full draw...
Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

What about the one from Minn Kota that only charges when your main engine is running?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

idk what that is..post up a link
Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jerry, to answer your original question, (1) I don't think this charger will keep up if you're trolling a lot. (2) Even if it did, do you want to leave your outboard running that long? In the long run it might be cheaper to pick up one of those little 1000 watt gennerators with a 12V output.

Joe here is the link I think Jerry's looking at. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-021667