Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

trolling motors

Old 05-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default trolling motors

I have a 3 year old 60 # thrust 24v Motor guide trolling motor. Yesterday I went out for hopefully an after noon of shooting. When I dropped down the troller it would not stear. Lifting it back in the boat and took the top cover off and the steel control cable was broke in half. This really seemed strange to me as the whole cable is in cased in a protective housing. Where this housing attaches to the housing the cable is in the clear for about 3 inches to where it is attached to the gear. I guess this 3 inches of unprotected cable has enough clearance to flex enough that over time it will break. After calling Motor Guide and getting the part number I had to call a service dealer to order the part $30 plus shipping. He told me that they use to never break, they are now getting them from China (go figure) and he was suprised mine lasted 3 years. A word to the wise I would order a spare if you have a motor guide. They are very easy to change, i had mine off in 10 minutes. I sure was glad I was not out of town at a tournament or weekend trip. This would Sure have ended either one. Of course you will need both serial numbers off the troller, one is under the top head and one is on the shaft.

Last edited by Johnny b; 05-07-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

When it comes to anything bowfishing... have spare everything!

When we used trollers, we had a whole seperate troller on standby. We didn't call it a 'spare' just 'the one that wan't broken yet'.

I think we'd spend half the summer with at least one troller at the repair shop at any given time.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know Dr. Rob always travels with a spare one also. Not sure why but we have had very little trouble, in fact none that I can think of. But do know that Murphy is still lut there.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, always carry a spare. Years ago, I truly felt that Minn Kota was a more durable motor but not sure there is any difference anymore, since like Christine said, I almost always have one that is down or not working up to 100%. With my Minnies, it seems the **** circuit boards in the head develope a problem and requires replacing the entire board and they can be on backorder for months

Last edited by robow7; 05-08-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well finally got the new cable, took a full week to get here from Indiana. I'm use to getting stuff in 2 days from cabela's. Well got it all back together, the really exciting part it actually was the right part. In the process of getting it adjusted, have to adjust the screw inside the petal as well as the sliding gear as it attaches to the gear on the shaft. Just wish the sun would come out so I could try it.