Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Clinton silvers

Old 09-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Default Clinton silvers

K and I stopped by the Clinton Spillway the other day. (of course, I didn't have my bow)

Here's a crummy cell phone picture of the massive schools of small silvers stacked up down there.

They're hard to see but look closely.

Kendall shot a few but all we just had a plastic bag to put them in and since they had to go inside the ManVan with us... he just shot a couple of them.

So yesterday we went back. This time we brought the pickup and a big tub. Well, of course, the schools weren't up due to the strong winds.

It was fun anyhow.

BTW, if you go down there, do not leave your fish laying around like the snaggers do!! It gets nasty with all the dead fish. (I did shake some maggots off a dead fish in the rocks and the bluegills came up like pirahnas. That was kind of neat.)
Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Christine, Do you ever see any big heads there? Seems like I remember Deb and her husband shooting them before. Billy, Cliff and I went dove hunting yesterday before we got rained out (soaked) we dropped 5 of the little buggers.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Deb shot a 40 lber down there.

Kendall shot one when we were down there but it was dinky. I didn't see any. Out of the snagged fish that were laying around, none were bigheads. I think either the silvers are pushing the bigheads back or the low water level at the spillway made the bigheads move further down stream.

As for doves. I can hear shotgun blasts from the fields around my house. So the doves are flying here and hanging out in the field, the driveway, resting on the powerline. There are some out there now. Mourning doves, collared doves and pigeons. I might pick one or two off with the bow but I haven't done any real dove hunting in years.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Well this is what we get to deal with now on the Wabash River just a few miles south of us. Won't be long now until they're in numbers right up to the low head dam in Danville

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfG4vsJ5_xI